Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Review: Swang Song

Title: Swan Song
36186766Author: Charlotte Wilson
Published September 12, 2017

Note: I received this book from the author to facilitate my review. I received no other compensation, and all opinions are my own.

From Goodreads:

When iconic ballerina Beatrice Duvall died, a nation mourned – and a legacy was born. Sixteen years later, her daughter Ava comes to London to take part in a high-profile tribute to Beatrice, and to learn about the mother she never knew.

There’s just one snag: the tribute is a ballet, Swan Lake. Which is infinitely painful for Ava, because she can’t dance. Won’t dance. Not since she quit the Royal Ballet School last year and walked away from everything that defined her.

But this is London, colourful and crazy, and with actor Seb at her side, there’s so much to discover. Like Theatreland razzmatazz and rooftop picnics and flamingo parties. And a whole load of truths Ava never knew about her mother – and herself.

When the time comes to take the stage, will Ava step out of the shadow cast by her mother’s pedestal? And who will be waiting for her there, in the bright lights?



 
I was so excited when Charlotte emailed me to review her new book--I LOVED her Cerulean  series (under pen name Megan Tayte) and have been itching for more to read from her! I was so excited about this book because it's about ballet--I took dance classes for many years as a kid (and adult!). I flew through the book and absolutely loved it. As with her previous books, the writing was effortless and drew you in from the beginning, making it easy to fly through the book because you can't wait to see what happens next.  The author does an excellent job of giving you just enough information to keep you guessing and reading on! I couldn't get enough!
 
I really appreciated the author's accurate portrayal of grief in this book--or at least it seemed relatable in my life and experiences. Ava's struggles with the loss of her mother made the book an emotional and personal read that really connected with the reader. While dealing with serious subjects like grief, there are also lighthearted and fun moments in the book as well to balance it all out. I loved Seb, and was thrilled that Cara (from the Ceuruleans series) made a cameo appearance!
 
I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down! I definitely recommend it if you love books about dance! Thanks to Charlotte Wilson for allowing me to read and review this book!
 
Happy Reading!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment