Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Review: Behind Closed Doors

Title: Behind Closed Doors
29437949Author: B.A. Paris
304 pages, published August 9, 2016
Source: Purchased on Kindle

From Goodreads:

Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace: he has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love.

Picture this: a dinner party at their perfect home, the conversation and wine flowing. They appear to be in their element while entertaining. And Grace's friends are eager to reciprocate with lunch the following week. Grace wants to go, but knows she never will. Her friends call—so why doesn't Grace ever answer the phone? And how can she cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim?

And why are there bars on one of the bedroom windows?

The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie?
  


 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/99/25/fc/9925fcbbfbccf0e889268505744ca1f7.jpg
image from google
Don't worry--no spoilers here. I saw this meme on Facebook after I finished the book and it described my feelings perfectly!  It took me a few days to calm down from this book in order to write this review, so that's definitely saying something! I was excited to read this book, because so many people in the book world were talking about it. After reading the book in less than 12 hours, I can see why!

This story is profoundly disturbing, disgusting, depressing, and twisted. And that's an understatement.  I almost stopped reading it because I was so appalled, disgusted, angry and sad. I wanted my $3.99 back that I paid on my kindle daily deal I was so mad.   I tweeted my blogger friend Brandie to ask if finishing it was worth it. She told me she felt it was, so I kept reading it for the sheer desire to finish the damn book, know what happened, and in hope that what I hoped would happen, would in fact happen.

I had a hard time rating this book.  Perhaps I was a bit harsh with three stars. Was it well written? Very. Did it keep me reading? Clearly, since I finished in less than half a day. So for that maybe it deserved four. But did I like the book? Absolutely NOT.  Do I think everyone should read it? Not particularly. If you did read it, can we talk about how horrible it is? Yes. Before this book, I thought Gillian Flynn's Dark Places was disturbing...itw was nothing compared to this.

If you read the book, let's talk! Did you hate it as much as I did? And if you know me well, you will know what part of it made me so ridiculously mad. 

Overall rating for "Behind Closed Doors" 3 stars

Happy Reading! 

1 comment:

  1. I've never been angrier and more disgusted while reading a book, than I was reading this one. It was like a car accident I couldn't look away from. It was addicting in the worst way. And I think that was the author's point - to mess with our heads. Which she succeeded! To me, that's the tell of a great author, even though we hated the story. She was still able to draw us in and force us to finish it. Lol. The ending made me feel like it was worth my time, especially since it didn't take me much time to finish it (I flew through it like you did - although not quite as fast!). I'm glad you gave it a chance, and to see I wasn't alone in my feelings about this one!!

    ReplyDelete