Thursday, November 3, 2016

Review: Dark Matter

27833670Title: Dark Matter
Author: Blake Crouch
342 pages, published July 2016
Genre: Psychological Thriller, Science Fiction
Source: Library

From Goodreads:

“Are you happy with your life?” Those are the last words Jason Dessen hears before the masked abductor knocks him unconscious. Before he awakens to find himself strapped to a gurney, surrounded by strangers in hazmat suits. Before a man Jason’s never met smiles down at him and says, “Welcome back, my friend.” 

In this world he’s woken up to, Jason’s life is not the one he knows. His wife is not his wife. His son was never born. And Jason is not an ordinary college physics professor but a celebrated genius who has achieved something remarkable--something impossible.

Is it this world or the other that’s the dream? And even if the home he remembers is real, how can Jason possibly make it back to the family he loves? The answers lie in a journey more wondrous and horrifying than anything he could’ve imagined—one that will force him to confront the darkest parts of himself even as he battles a terrifying, seemingly unbeatable foe.


I've been on a kick of reading creepy books lately, and I saw good reviews for this one everywhere I looked.  I don't normally read science fiction, but this book blew me away!The book pulled me in from the beginning, and the action never stopped! The book was impossible to put down because I HAD to know what happened. It was one of those books where you have to know the ending as soon as possible, but yet you don't want the book to end because it's so good.  I was literally reading on the edge of my seat because I was so excited about finding out the ending. My husband kept laughing at me as I was reading the end because I was so worked up. For the record, the ending did not disappoint!

What surprised me about this book was how much it stuck with me and made me think.  The science part of the book was relatively easy to understand--Jason is a physics professor so it all tied together nicely. This book explored deep aspects of the human condition, and what makes us, us. It also explores how our different choices can drastically affect our life. What parts of our personality are constant, and what parts change with our situations and environment? What is most important in life?

If you're like me and read little to no science fiction, do not let that stop you from reading this book. This book has so many facets that cross over many different genres. This book is a must read and one of my favorites of 2016!

Overall rating for "Dark Matter": 5 stars

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. As someone who doesn't like sci fi but am interested in this title, I really enjoyed your review. It has definitely stopped me from removing this title from my wishlist. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you gave this book a try and loved it! It's definitely one of my favorites this year, too. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete