Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Audiobook Review: The Rumor

Title: The Rumor
23341607Author: Elin Hilderbrand
370 pages, published June 2015
Source: Library
Format: Audiobook

From Goodreads:

Madeline King and Grace Pancik are best friends and the envy of Nantucket for their perfect marriages, their beautiful kids, their Sunday night double dates with their devoted husbands. But this summer, something's changed, and if there's anything Nantucket likes better than cocktails on the beach at sunset, it's a good rumor.

And rumor has it...

...that Madeline, a novelist, is battling writer's block, with a deadline looming, bills piling up, and blank pages driving her to desperation--and a desperately bad decision;

...that Grace, hard at work to transform her backyard into a garden paradise, has been collaborating a bit more closely than necessary with her ruggedly handsome landscape architect;

...that Grace's husband, successful island real estate developer "Fast Eddie" Pancik, has embarked on quite an unusual side project;

...that the storybook romance between Madeline's son, Brick, and Grace's daughter Allegra is on the rocks, heading for disaster.
As the gossip escalates, and they face the possible loss of the happy lives they've worked so hard to create, Grace and Madeline try mightily to set the record straight--but the truth might be even worse than rumor has it.


 I haven't listened to a lot of audiobooks, but I've recently gotten into them and was excited to see the library had this one on audiobook! I generally love Hilderbrand's work, but was disappointed in this one. But first--I really enjoyed the narration of this audiobook, and appreciated that they used male and female voices depending on which POV the chaper was.  The audio was very well done!

 This is deinitely not Hilderbrand's best work. I realize she was battling breast cancer at the time of this book, but this one just didn't do it for me. It was too desperate housewives/rich people problems for me. I realize that's what I was getting into with a title like The Rumor, but the behavior of the adults in this novel was absolutely absurd. The teenagers' behavior I could understand. They're teenagers. And I realize everyone makes mistakes--but wow. 

On a bright note, Hope was my favorite character (ironic, right, since her name is Hope? I'm sure that was on purpose!).  The underdog twin who was always reading a book? Loved her. Despite not loving this book, it didn't keep me from finishing it--which is saying something. I did really want to know what happened in the end!

Overall rating for "The Rumor": 3 stars

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I have such a hard time listening to fiction audiobooks. That is great that they used male and female voices so that you could tell the characters apart. That would definitely help this easily lost listener!

    ReplyDelete