Friday, June 3, 2016

Review: One True Loves

Title: One True Loves
27189194Author: Taylor Jenkins Reid
352 pages, published June 7, 2016
Genre: Women's Fiction

 Note: I received this book from the publisher via Edelweiss to facilitate my review. I received no other compensation, and all opinions are my own.

From Goodreads:

From the author of Maybe in Another Life—named a PeopleMagazine pick and a "Best Book of the Summer" by Glamour andUSA TODAY—comes a breathtaking new love story about a woman unexpectedly forced to choose between the husband she has long thought dead and the fiancé who has finally brought her back to life.

In her twenties, Emma Blair marries her high school sweetheart, Jesse. They build a life for themselves, far away from the expectations of their parents and the people of their hometown in Massachusetts. They travel the world together, living life to the fullest and seizing every opportunity for adventure.

On their first wedding anniversary, Jesse is on a helicopter over the Pacific when it goes missing. Just like that, Jesse is gone forever.

Emma quits her job and moves home in an effort to put her life back together. Years later, now in her thirties, Emma runs into an old friend, Sam, and finds herself falling in love again. When Emma and Sam get engaged, it feels like Emma’s second chance at happiness.

That is, until Jesse is found. He’s alive, and he’s been trying all these years to come home to her. With a husband and a fiancé, Emma has to now figure out who she is and what she wants, while trying to protect the ones she loves.

Who is her one true love? What does it mean to love truly?

Emma knows she has to listen to her heart. She’s just not sure what it’s saying.
 





I've read a lot of good books in 2016. But this one is absolutely AMAZING.  I loved Maybe in Another Life, and One True Loves was even BETTER! TJR has a beautiful gift of writing books that really make you THINK, and really make you FEEL. Her stories are so creative and original.  I spent most of my time reading this book thinking "What the heck would I do in this situation?!" Emma was so easy to relate to that it made it easy to put myself in her shoes.

I loved the format of the book. The writing, as always in TJR books, was fantastic and engaging. There was a whole chapter she wrote describing Emma's life after Jesse "died" that was just brilliant and emotional and wonderful, the chapter where Emma climbed up on the roof in hopes of spotting Jesse out in the ocean and rescuing him. 

If you read only one book this year, this is the one!! I'm rating it five stars, because I rate on a five star scale...but really, can I rate this a ten?

"I am who I am because I loved you once."

Overall rating for "One True Loves": 5+ stars


About Taylor Jenkins Reid

Taylor Jenkins ReidTaylor Jenkins Reid is an author and essayist from Acton, Massachusetts. Her first novel, Forever, Interrupted, was named one of the "11 Debuts We Love" by Kirkus Reviews. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband, Alex, and their dog, Rabbit. You can follow her on Twitter @tjenkinsreid.


4 comments:

  1. I've heard such great things about this book and I'm definitely going to check it out as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled that you loved this book too!! It is SO amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking forward to your review of this book, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I definitely have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear your enthusiasm. I enjoyed it but rated it a 4. Perhaps because I'd just watched a series set in Australia (TV) with exactly the same difficulty. But still... very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete