Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Review: The Weekenders

Title: The Weekenders
26114516Author: Mary Kay Andrews
464 pages, publish date May 17, 2016
Genre: Women's Fiction

Note: I received this book fromNetGalley to facilitate my review. I received no other compensation, and all opinions are my own.

From Goodreads:

Some people stay all summer long on the idyllic island of Belle Isle, North Carolina. Others come only for the weekends-and the mix between the regulars and “the weekenders” can sometimes make the sparks fly. Riley Griggs has a season of good times with friends and family ahead of her on Belle Isle when things take an unexpected turn. While waiting for her husband to arrive on the ferry one Friday afternoon, Riley is confronted by a process server who thrusts papers into her hand. And her husband is nowhere to be found.

So she turns to her island friends for help and support, but it turns out that each of them has their own secrets, and the clock is ticking as the mystery deepens...in a murderous way. Cocktail parties aside, Riley must find a way to investigate the secrets of Belle Island, the husband she might not really know, and the summer that could change everything.

Told with Mary Kay Andrews’ trademark blend of humor and warmth, and with characters and a setting that you can’t help but fall for, The Weekenders is the perfect summer escape.



What a great read!  I've had trouble getting into other books by Mary Kay Andrews before, but not this one! I was hooked from the beginning. Though it was a longer book (464 pages) I read it quickly because I HAD to know what had happened to Riley's husband! It's a perfect summer beach read, but it's not as predictable as a classic beach read--it does have many twists, turns and surprises to keep you reading and keep you entertained, but light enough for a weekend or vacation read.  I read this book during the week I was on vacation in Hawaii, and it was a perfect book for relaxing on the lanai  and watching the ocean.

My favorite character was Maggie, Riley's twelve year old daughter.  Recently diagnosed with diabetes and dealing with the disappearance (don't worry, I'm not giving any details away here) of her father, Maggie acts out the way any teenager would, and my heart broke for her.

If you're looking for a great women's fiction beach read that has a mix of mystery and suspense woven in, this book is  a great choice! I definitely recommend you add it to your summer TBR!

Overall rating for "The Weekenders": 4.5 stars

Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. This does sound like a fun book. Glad to hear you enjoyed reading it on your vacation. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh great review I have been really curious about this book since I first heard about it a few months ago. It really looks and sounds absolutely fantastic and amazing! Thank you for your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not my favorite MKA book, by far. I HATED who the killer was. The main characters mother and daughter grated on my nerves. I miss Bebe and Weezie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not my favorite MKA book, by far. I HATED who the killer was. The main characters mother and daughter grated on my nerves. I miss Bebe and Weezie!!

    ReplyDelete