Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Review: A Drop in the Ocean

Title: A Drop in the Ocean
Author: Jenni Ogden
27037952289 pages, published May 3, 2016
Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Note: I received this book fromNetGalley (special thanks to Caitlin Hamilton Marketing & Publicity) to facilitate my review. I received no other compensation, and all opinions are my own.

From Goodreads:

On her 49th birthday, Anna Fergusson, Boston neuroscientist and dedicated introvert, arrives at an unwanted crossroads when the funding for her research lab is cut. With her confidence shattered and her future uncertain, on impulse she rents a cabin for a year on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. However Turtle Island, alive with sea birds and nesting Green turtles, is not the retreat she expected. Here she finds love for the eccentric islanders who become her family; for Tom, the laid-back turtle whisperer; and for the turtles whose ancient mothering instincts move her to tears. But Anna finds that even on her idyllic drop in the ocean there is pain, and as the months fly past her dream for a new life is threatened by a darkness that challenges everything she has come to believe about the power of love. Evocative and thought-provoking, A Drop in the Ocean is a story about second chances and hard lessons learned in the gentlest of ways.



I love, love, LOVED this book!! There are so many aspects of the book that make it easy to add to one of my all time favorites list--the character is a neuroscientist (neuroscience was my favorite aspect of my psychology degree),  spending time on a tropical island (who wouldn't want that?!) and sea turtles (which I love!).  What I enjoy so much about books in general is that they give me the ability to travel--in this case, to Turtle Island off the Great Barrier Reef, a place I'd LOVE to go. 

There's so much to say about how much I loved Anna as the main character--I related to her in so many ways.  From her introverted nature to her issues dealing with the death of her father, I found myself deeply emotionally invested in her journey throughout her year of living on Turtle Island. Despite the short amount of time spent on the island, the friendships and relationships she makes are true, deep, and real. The book is beautifully written, heartbreaking at times, joyful at times, and all around one of the best books I've read this year AND is definitely in my short list of all time favorite books. I couldn't put it down but was sad when it ended. It's thought provoking yet entertaining, and, quite simply, a brilliant book. This is the author's debut novel (after several non fiction works) and I can't wait to read more from her in the future!

Fellow psychology nerds: read the About the Author section in this book--Ogden is well known in the psychology world and worked with the famous patient, H.M. Her career is quite fascinating! Been reading a lot of her earlier works since finishing this book!

Overall rating for "A Drop in the Ocean": 5 stars

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Great review Lori and I can see why you loved it. I certainly liked all the variety of characters on the island. I hope Jenni Ogden has another in the pipeline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review now I am really intrigued about this book after reading your review. I usually don't read books like this one. But it really looks and sounds like an amazing book! Thank you for your awesome post Lori.

    ReplyDelete