Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Armchair BEA: Introductions!

Armchair BEA

In addition to Bout of Books, this week is also Armchair BEA! Such a busy week! Today's topic is Introductions, so here are my answers to the questions ABEA provided!

Group 1:

1.  What is the name you prefer to use?
My name is Lori Palmer, and you'll usually see me leave comments or posts as Lori @ Palmer's Page Turners!

2.  How long have you been a book blogger?
I started my book blog on March 31, 2014. I absolutely LOVE book blogging! I've met so many bloggers, authors and friends through this fun adventure! I started blogging because so many friends asked me for recommendations and what I thought of books. I LOVE writing, so I thought, why not write a blog?

3.  Have you participated in ABEA before?
Yes--this is my third time participating! So fun!

Group 2:

1.  Do you have a favorite book? If you cannot choose a favorite book of all time, pick your favorite book today - just this second. Remember that favorites are allowed to change if something affects you deeply enough.

My all time favorite book is Moloka'i by Alan Brennert! Here's my review of the book and a bit more about why I love it so much! I recommend this beautifully written historical fiction to everyone!
3273

2.  What is your favorite genre and why?
I love several different genres--women's contemporary fiction, historical fiction and young adult fiction!  The easy reason for why is because all three allow me to escape for awhile. I love historical fiction because it allows me to learn about history through relating to a specific character. I love YA so much because the genre helps students in that age group deal with the changes and feelings they are experiencing. It helps them know they are not alone or the only one dealing with those feelings and changes at SUCH a critical point in their life. Which really sums up why I love reading in general--it helps us realize we are not alone in our struggles.

3.  If you could recommend one other book blogger, who would it be and why?
Brandie @ Brandie is a Book Junkie! I think of her as my Book Blogger BFF :) We "met" each other during Bout of Books a couple years back, and I hope to meet her in person someday! Brandie and I have so much in common--we love so many of the same books. And we both love cats! :)  Her reviews are always my favorite to read.  I just love the style of her blog.  You MUST check it out!

6.  How do you arrange your bookshelves? Is there a rhyme or reason? Or not at all? (#ABEAShelfie)

As bad as this sounds, I don't really have any organization scheme at all on my shelves. I do put the smaller, mass market paperbacks together, and if I have a lot from the same author, I put those together, but otherwise I just do what looks pretty and makes me happy!

7.  What book are you most excited for on your TBR? What are you most intimidated by?
I am definitely looking forward to the new Colleen Hoover, It Ends With Us, due out in August. She is one of my favorite authors, favorite to the point that I automatically pre-order any new title she publishes, usually without having rad the synopsis. She's that good. If you haven't read any CoHo yet, do so immediately! Slammed is my favorite.

My most intimidating book on my TBR is the Outlander series, mostly because of the length. I've heard so many good things, and I have the first one on my shelf, but just haven't gotten the motivation to read it yet.

8.  What is the most interesting thing that you have learned through your reading this year so far?
I absolutely loved A Drop in the Ocean by Jenni Ogden! Her'es my review I posted last week. I can't say enough about this book.  In addition to loving the story, I learned so much about Green Sea Turtles! And just life in that part of the world in general (Australia's Great Barrier Reef islands). After reading this book I read a lot of Ogden's prior works as a psychologist. I learned that she worked with famous memory patient H.M. It was fun to connect my love of reading with my academic interests!
27037952

Happy Armchair BEA! Looking forward to a great rest of the week!

1 comment:

  1. I have wanted to read Moloka'i so many times and just haven't managed it. One day soon!

    ReplyDelete