Friday, April 8, 2016

Book Beginnings: A Drop in the Ocean


Book Beginnings Fridays is a weekly event hosted by fellow Oregon blogger Gilion at Rose City Reader.  The purpose is to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

This week I started reading A Drop in the Ocean by Jenni Ogden. I received this book via NetGalley, and was initially disappointed to find that it wasn't available on Kindle. Couldn't get the downloadable PDF to work. So, I finally just replied honestly to the publisher that I was disappointed it wasn't on Kindle, but that I would still read it once it came out because I was so excited about this book. Not 30 minutes later Caitlin Hamilton from Caitlin Hamilton Marketing emailed me and offered me a print galley of this book. I am beyond grateful! Goes to show if you are honest and polite, good things happen. Thanks Caitlin! Here are the first lines of the book:

"On my forty-ninth birthday my shining career came to an inauspicious end. It took with it the jobs of four promising young scientists and catapulted my loyal research technician into premature retirement, an unjust reward for countless years of dedicated scut work."

27037952From Goodreads:

On her 49th birthday, Anna Fergusson, Boston neuroscientist and dedicated introvert, arrives at an unwanted crossroads when the funding for her research lab is cut. With her confidence shattered and her future uncertain, on impulse she rents a cabin for a year on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. However Turtle Island, alive with sea birds and nesting Green turtles, is not the retreat she expected. Here she finds love for the eccentric islanders who become her family; for Tom, the laid-back turtle whisperer; and for the turtles whose ancient mothering instincts move her to tears. But Anna finds that even on her idyllic drop in the ocean there is pain, and as the months fly past her dream for a new life is threatened by a darkness that challenges everything she has come to believe about the power of love. Evocative and thought-provoking, A Drop in the Ocean is a story about second chances and hard lessons learned in the gentlest of ways.

I'm LOVING this one so far, you guys! And not just because of that beautiful cover! What are you reading this weekend? Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. This does sound good! I'm intrigued by the blurb and I love the sound of the beginning. I can definitely see why you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover and the beginning sentences would keep me reading. That is so nice that the Publisher offered to send you the book, Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the cover, but it doesn't seem to match up in my mind with the second half of the description. :) Happy reading!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete