Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Review: Losing the Light

25814509Title: Losing the Light
Author: Andrea Dunlop
336 pages, published February 23, 2016
Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Note: I received this book fromNetGalley to facilitate my review. I received no other compensation, and all opinions are my own.

From Goodreads:

When thirty-year-old Brooke Thompson unexpectedly runs into a man from her past, she’s plunged headlong into memories she’s long tried to forget about the year she spent in France following a disastrous affair with a professor.

As a newly arrived exchange student in the picturesque city of Nantes, young Brooke develops a deep and complicated friendship with Sophie, a fellow American and stunning blonde, whose golden girl fa├žade hides a precarious emotional fragility. Sophie and Brooke soon become inseparable and find themselves intoxicated by their new surroundings—and each other.

But their lives are forever changed when they meet a sly, stylish French student, Veronique, and her impossibly sexy older cousin, Alex. The cousins draw Sophie and Brooke into an irresistible world of art, money, decadence, and ultimately, a disastrous love triangle that consumes them both. And of the two of them, only one will make it home.





What drew me to this book was the beautiful cover! Once I read it was set in France, I knew I had to read it! I took several years of French in school, and was lucky enough to travel to France, but only for a short ten days.  So this book was perfect for me!  I absolutely loved it.  Brooke was such a great character, and I loved viewing France through her eyes.  There are several times in the book where French words and phrases are used. The context generally explains what was said, but I was definitely thankful I knew French when reading it. I'm not saying it's necessary you know French to read the book, but if you do know French, you may appreciate those parts of the book more. 

Sophie was an interesting character--misunderstood, perhaps. As much as I normally dislike this in books, I would've loved some chapters from her perspective, just to learn more about her and what she was thinking at times. I often found my self frustrated with her, but by the end felt like she was just so misunderstood.

As you got further into the book and the love triangle, the book got more and more emotional and hard to put down!  You HAVE to know what happens! The ending is shocking, unexpected, and makes you think. The book is extremely well written, entertaining,  and a great representation of French culture.  If you love French language and culture as much as I do, you will love this book! I definitely look forward to future books by this author!

Overall rating for "Losing the Light": 4.5 stars

Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. I'm normally not a fan of love triangles, but I love reading something 'different' or out of my element once in awhile. This sounds really good! I love that cover, too. Great review - you convinced me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This certainly sounds like it lives up to the cover. I definitely need to look out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even better than I expected it to be!

      Delete
  3. Sounds worth looking into. Great post!

    ReplyDelete