Friday, January 15, 2016

Book Beginnings: The Restaurant Critic's Wife


Book Beginnings Fridays is a weekly event hosted by fellow Oregon blogger Gilion at Rose City Reader.  The purpose is to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

This week, I started The Restaurant Critic's Wifethanks to NetGalley. Here's the first couple lines:

"I am standing in a dark alley behind a restaurant. One hand rests on my pregnant belly and the other sheilds my nose from the smell of rotting food. I watch as my husband disappears into a Dumpster...."



25828495Lila Soto has a master’s degree that’s gathering dust, a work-obsessed husband, two kids, and lots of questions about how exactly she ended up here.
In their new city of Philadelphia, Lila’s husband, Sam, takes his job as a restaurant critic a little too seriously. To protect his professional credibility, he’s determined to remain anonymous. Soon his preoccupation with anonymity takes over their lives as he tries to limit the family’s contact with anyone who might have ties to the foodie world. Meanwhile, Lila craves adult conversation and some relief from the constraints of her homemaker role. With her patience wearing thin, she begins to question everything: her decision to get pregnant again, her break from her career, her marriage—even if leaving her ex-boyfriend was the right thing to do. As Sam becomes more and more fixated on keeping his identity secret, Lila begins to wonder if her own identity has completely disappeared—and what it will take to get it back.

Happy Friday! What are you reading this weekend?

4 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to the wife's feeling of an identity that is disappearing (me, before reading Betty Friedan in the 60s..LOL....I wonder what she'll do next.

    I also like the premise of this story. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “THE CROSSING PLACES”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got me curious, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently downloaded a copy of this...I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Compelling opening. Doesn't sound like things are going to go well for this marriage. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete