Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Review: Devil and the Deep (Ceruleans #4)

26634340Title: Devil and the Deep (Ceruleans #4)
Author: Megan Tayte
315 pages, published September 30, 2015
Genre: YA Paranormal


Source: I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. See my Release Blitz post to learn more about the book and the author!

From Goodreads:

STORM CLOUDS ARE GATHERING, AND THEY WILL RAIN BLOOD.

Scarlett is living her happy-ever-after, back in the real world. Only the ‘happy’ part is proving problematic.

For starters, there’s the isolation. Being a Cerulean among humans is fraught with risk, so her time with people can only be fleeting. Which means being with Luke but not being with Luke.

Then there’s her Cerulean light, her power over life and death. Less awesome talent, as it turns out, and more overwhelming responsibility. And it comes with rules – rules that are increasingly difficult to obey.

But what’s really pushing Scarlett to the precipice is something much bigger than herself, than her life in the cove. A force to be reckoned with:

Blood.

When long-buried truths are exposed, will Scarlett keep her head above water – or will she drown in the blood-dimmed tide that is unleashed? 


My review:
  If you've read my blog for any length of time, you know I LOVE this author and this series, and this book is no exception! With every book in the series we learn a little more about the Cerulean life and the challenges Scarlett is facing. What I love so much about these books is that although her situation is certainly not realistic in our life, her struggles are definitely real--her struggles with her Mom and her sister, her feelings for Luke--all real emotions we've all dealt with at some point. It is easy to relate to Scarlett and her feelings. In this book we learn that the Fallen may not be all that they seem, and Scarlett is caught between two worlds in a struggle to understand who she is and her purpose as  Cerulean.

 I loved her interactions with Evangeline in this book and love the relationship that they have--each time Scarlett meets with her she learns a little bit more about herself, yet at the same time understand why Evangeline is not telling her everything at once. One character I wanted to see more of in the book was Jude, as he is one of my favorites. Due to the storyline of this book I understand why he didn't have as much of a role, but I still missed him!
 
The writing is fantastic. I was immediately immersed in this book and couldn't put it down. I HAD to know what happened next.  As usual, the author ended with a cliffhanger ending that leaves me itching for the fifth and final book. I have so many unanswered questions, and I can't wait to read more! I can't recommend this series enough! It is everything I love about Young Adult fiction!

Overall rating for "Devil and the Deep": 5 stars

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment