Monday, September 21, 2015

Review: Who Do You Love

25205422Title: Who Do You Love
Author: Jennifer Weiner
400 pages, published August 2015
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Library

From Goodreads:



Rachel Blum and Andy Landis are eight years old when they meet late one night in an ER waiting room. Born with a congenital heart defect, Rachel is a veteran of hospitals, and she's intrigued by the boy who shows up all alone with a broken arm. He tells her his name. She tells him a story. After Andy's taken back to the emergency room and Rachel's sent back to her bed, they think they'll never see each other again.

Rachel, the beloved, popular, and protected daughter of two doting parents, grows up wanting for nothing in a fancy Florida suburb. Andy grows up poor in Philadelphia with a single mom and a rare talent that will let him become one of the best runners of his generation.

Over the course of three decades, through high school and college, marriages and divorces, from the pinnacles of victory and the heartbreak of defeat, Andy and Rachel will find each other again and again, until they are finally given a chance to decide whether love can surmount difference and distance and if they've been running toward each other all along.
My Review:

There was a lot of hype about this book, and I was so excited to get it from the library!  I'm happy to report that I loved this book. It was so much more than a classic "chick lit"--this one had much more emotional depth to it.  I loved how the book followed Rachel and Andy throughout their lives, including their childhood. I loved watching them "grow up" and went through all the stages I'm sure a parent goes through--including "WHAT were you thinking??" in some of the phases of life, along with rooting for their success.

I have read several of Weiner's books, but this one is most definitely my favorite. I've never really gotten excited about her books before this one--the characters are what really made this one a winner for me. Rachel and Andy were so real and easy to relate to--so many of their relationship struggles sounded familiar. This book warmed my heart and made me feel happy. It was beautifully written, flowed well, and kept me interested. The every other chapter aspect (Rachel chapter 1, Andy chapter 2, Rachel chapter 3 and so on) of the book really kept me hooked. I also liked that all the chapters stayed in chronological order by year--I've read several books that jump forward and back in time, and it drives me crazy figuring out where in the chronology I am. Not with this book!

I definitely recommend this book--heartfelt, real, and a fantastic story.

Overall rating for "Who Do You Love": 4 stars

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen quite a few reviews of this book just today! I finished it last week and my review will be up tomorrow. Apparently, I was a day late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading your review!

      Delete