Thursday, August 6, 2015

Review: The Love Season

Title: The Love Season
8145193Author: Elin Hilderbrand
320 pages, published May 2006
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Library

From Goodreads:

When Renata, newly engaged to a wealthy Nantucket summer boy, comes to the island to visit her fiancee's family, she decides to confront her tragic past. She goes against her fathers wishes and visits Marguerite, the godmother shes been forbidden to see her entire lifethe one person who can unlock the mystery surrounding her mothers untimely death. But Marguerites life is not so simple and preparing dinner for her goddaughter proves much more complicated than either of them imagined. Whether it is in her Nantucket detail, her insight into the emotional dramas that shape peoples lives, the moments that define them, or the loves who rule them, Elin Hilderbrands storytelling abilities soar to new heights with every novel she writes.

My Review:

I'm a pretty big Elin Hilderbrand fan, and this novel was a pretty good one--I've read better from her (The Blue Bistro) but I've read worse, too (Beautiful Day). It was a classic Hilderbrand summer tale set in Nantucket, which I always like.  Though the one thing that didn't make sense to me was the title. It didn't make sense to me at all after reading the book.  I really enjoyed both Renata and Marguerite as characters, and was eager to read more in the story to find out more details. While I predicted what would happen there were enough other twists and turns to keep me reading and keep me interested.

Overall rating: 3.5 stars

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. I have never read anything by Elin Hilderbrand before, but she's on my list of authors to try. This one sounds interesting. I love it when I'm reading and it suddenly clicks why a book had a given title. It's rare the title and book don't match. I wonder what the thought behind this title was since it didn't really fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't read Hilderbrand before, definitely try The Blue Bistro!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the recommendation! I'll definitely give The Blue Bistro a try. :-)

      Delete