Monday, August 24, 2015

Review: Eight Hundred Grapes

Title: Eight Hundred Grapes
Author: Laura Dave
23492613260 pages, published June 2015
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Library

From Goodreads:

Growing up on her family’s Sonoma vineyard, Georgia Ford learned some important secrets. The secret number of grapes it takes to make a bottle of wine: eight hundred. The secret ingredient in her mother’s lasagna: chocolate. The secret behind ending a fight: hold hands.

But just a week before her wedding, thirty-year-old Georgia discovers her beloved fiancé has been keeping a secret so explosive, it will change their lives forever.

Georgia does what she’s always done: she returns to the family vineyard, expecting the comfort of her long-married parents, and her brothers, and everything familiar. But it turns out her fiancĂ© is not the only one who’s been keeping secrets…


My Review:

 "You have to grow, mold, squish about eight hundred grapes to get just one bottle of wine. If that isn't an argument to finish the bottle, I don't know what is."

I LOVED this book. Love, Love, LOVED this book. I alternately couldn't wait to finish it to find out what happened, and never wanted it to end because it was so amazing. I loved everything about it--the setting in Sonoma County, the characters, the family dynamic, everything about wine, and of course, Georgia's journey. 

What I love about reading books in general is that books allow you to learn about things and places you otherwise wouldn't be able to. That is what I loved about this book--I learned so much about the winemaking process! I've visited many wineries (the area where I live is  the Willamette Valley in Oregon) but I still learned a lot about the process in this book.

I loved the themes of this book--the theme of synchronization, keeping families together, and fate. It's the perfect summer read, and one of my favorites of 2015. The author's writing style was fantastic--it flowed effortlessly and I couldn't bear to put it down!

Now...who's up for some wine?

Overall rating for "Eight Hundred Grapes": 5 stars

Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic review, Lori!! I am thrilled you loved this one, too. I love that we tend to have such similar tastes in books. :) This is one of my favorites of the year, too. I wish I got to visit wineries more often - it's something I hope to do more of in the future. Such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED this book. It was almost hard for me to write the review because I couldn't put into words how much I loved it!

      Delete
  2. Awesome review! I am really looking forward to reading this one! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read this one ever since I first saw it. I see that lots of people are giving it rave reviews. I am going to have to make an effort to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review. I liked t his book too. I especially liked the father and his quotes of wonderfully witty wisdom. I did have a bit of a problem with too much details around the wine making, but it is nice to see that the author did her research.

    ReplyDelete