Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Top Ten Books I'll (Probably) Never Read


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. This week's theme is Top Ten Books I Will Probably Never Read. Let's face it--there are  a ton of books on my TBR or popular books that I'll just never get around to...here's my list!

1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy: I've heard it's fantastic...but...it's 900+ pages...I doubt that's going to happen for me.

2. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver: I tried. I got a bout halfway through. Couldn't stand it.  DNF and I'm not planning on trying to finish it anytime soon. I know a lot of people love this one...but I'm not one of them.

3. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series by Stieg Larsson: I've had several people tell me I wouldn't like it due to violence and abuse, which I'm pretty sensitive to. So this one's a no-go for me.

4. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini: unless you can convince me otherwise, I don't see getting around to this book anytime soon.

5. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt: again, unless you can convince me otherwise. Based on what I've read about it, I don't think it's for me.

6. The Game of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin: I just don't think it's for me.

7. 50 Shades of Grey trilogy by E.L. James: I read the first four chapters in the first book and that was enough.

8. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold: A lot of people have told me it was OK but not worth the read.

9. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom: I read The First Phone Call From Heaven and was very disappointed.

10. Anything by Stephen King: that genre is just not my thing.

What are some of the book you'll (probably) never read? Are there some on my list that I should give a chance?

Happy Reading!

7 comments:

  1. Pretty much all of these are on my NO list. I haven't been too thrilled with Stephen King these days either. I have to agree with this list.

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Goldfinch wasn't very good...if it was about 500 pages shorter, it would have been decent! The Lovely Bones was so good until it got towards the end; then it got so stupid that it ruined the good part of the story! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, Sis, Kite Runner needs to be off this list! I'll read it again with you. Such a great book!

    I enjoyed Goldfinch, but I agree with your assessment, I don't think you'd like it. Same goes for the Dragon Tattoo series.Good that you know your own reading preferences! (But don't give up on Kite Runner!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also included 50 shades and the game of Thrones on my list. I see others on your list I don't think I'd read either.

    Tina, The Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Game of Thrones is totally on my list. Although I feel like I would love it, I hate to say that the length just puts me off. So much that even thinking about reading it stresses me out because I will be reading the first one for the rest of my life before I finish. Maybe one day when I'm old and retired and can devote my entire day to reading. How lovely that will be!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read all of these except 6 and 7 and probably won't read them ever. I agree on the Dragon Tattoo series. I was able to read it cause my mind isn't as imaginative on its own, but I will not see any of the movies. And I didn't like The Lovely Bones, the bit of magical realism at the end didn't fit for me.

    A few more observations: old Albom is better than newer Albom. And I don't do Stephen King's usual genre either, but his non-horror stuff is amazing, like 11/22/63 and The Green Mile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about Albom! The ending to First Phone Call was SO disappointing to me and just soured me on his books. Maybe his older ones are worth a try.

      Delete