Monday, May 11, 2015

Review: The Guest Cottage

Title: The Guest Cottage
Author: Nancy Thayer
23278464336 pages, published May12, 2015
Genre: Women's Fiction

Note: I received this book from NetGalley to facilitate my review. I received no other compensation, and all opinions are my own.

From Goodreads:

Sensible thirty-six-year-old Sophie Anderson has always known what to do. She knows her role in life: supportive wife of a successful architect and calm, capable mother of two. But on a warm summer night, as the house grows quiet around her and her children fall asleep, she wonders what’s missing from her life. When her husband echoes that lonely question, announcing that he’s leaving her for another woman, Sophie realizes she has no idea what’s next. Impulsively renting a guest cottage on Nantucket from her friend Susie Swenson, Sophie rounds up her kids, Jonah and Lacey, and leaves Boston for a quiet family vacation, minus one.

Also minus one is Trevor Black, a software entrepreneur who has recently lost his wife. Trevor is the last person to imagine himself, age thirty and on his own, raising a little boy like Leo—smart and sweet, but grappling constantly with his mother’s death, growing more and more closed off. Hoping a quiet summer on the Nantucket coast will help him reconnect with Leo, Trevor rents a guest house on the beautiful island from his friend Ivan Swenson.

Best-laid plans run awry when Sophie and Trevor realize they’ve mistakenly rented the same house. Still, determined to make this a summer their kids will always remember, the two agree to share the Swensons’ Nantucket house. But as the summer unfolds and the families grow close, Sophie and Trevor must ask themselves if the guest cottage is all they want to share.


My Review:

Surprisingly, this was the first book I've read by Nancy Thayer! It certainly won't be my last! I loved this book. I immediately was hooked into the book and read it in a 24 hour period--appropriately while staying in a vacation rental at the beach with my family. I loved the story and I loved the characters. I fell in love with all of them, especially little Leo. I loved watching Sophie and Trevor's relationship develop over the course of the summer and found myself wanting to devour one of Sophie's delicious meals! It also made me want to visit Nantucket!

What I also loved about this book was that it went a bit deeper than your usual romance--Sophie is on the brink of divorce, and Trevor's wife recently passed away--so it deals with issues of divorce and grieving a loved one's death.  The book shows how all the characters react to their different situations, and how those emotions and feelings help them understand and bond with each other.

I loved the author's writing style!  It flows well, is easy to read, and is engaging. This book was hard to put down. The story was real, emotional, believable, and entertaining. I loved it and by the end I wanted to know more! This is the perfect weekend beach read--you won't regret reading this one. I can't wait to read more of Nancy Thayer's books now that I've discovered how much I like her!

Overall rating for "The Guest Cottage": 4.5 Stars

Happy Reading!


2 comments:

  1. Great review! I am excited to read this one. I'm in need of a good beach read, this one seems perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved it and think you will too!!

      Delete