Monday, March 30, 2015

Review: After I Do

18775359Title: After I Do
Author: Taylor Jenkins Reid
352 pages, published July 2014
Genre: Women's Fiction, Contemporary
Source: downloaded on my Kindle

From Goodreads:

When Lauren and Ryan’s marriage reaches the breaking point, they come up with an unconventional plan. They decide to take a year off in the hopes of finding a way to fall in love again. One year apart, and only one rule: they cannot contact each other. Aside from that, anything goes.

Lauren embarks on a journey of self-discovery, quickly finding that her friends and family have their own ideas about the meaning of marriage. These influences, as well as her own healing process and the challenges of living apart from Ryan, begin to change Lauren’s ideas about monogamy and marriage. She starts to question: When you can have romance without loyalty and commitment without marriage, when love and lust are no longer tied together, what do you value? What are you willing to fight for?

This is a love story about what happens when the love fades. It’s about staying in love, seizing love, forsaking love, and committing to love with everything you’ve got. And above all, After I Do is the story of a couple caught up in an old game—and searching for a new road to happily ever after.


My Review:

I had several friends recommend this book to me, and I'm happy to say that I absolutely loved this book. I devoured it in a weekend and couldn't put it down! What I loved most about this book was how real it was--I said in one of my first status updates that "it's like this book was written about my life."

This book was realistic, heartbreaking, emotional,and brutally honest. If you're wanting an honest portrayal of marriage, this is it. On a personal note, I can absolutely relate--though  it wasn't as extreme or led to separation, my husband and I have dealt with many of the same issues as Lauren and Ryan only to realize that we just have to be honest and truthful about what we want (even if it's something as simple as what we want for dinner) and to never, ever give up. Marriage takes work, and this book illustrates that.  It's so refreshing to see a realistic portrayal of love and relationships. Not that I don't love a nice, cheesy, romance, but books like this show why I love fiction--because we can relate to it and know we're not alone.

The writing style was excellent and allowed the book to flow well--contributing to its hard to put down status. If you're looking for a relaxing read that has some depth and emotion to it, this book is perfect.  There were so many quote-worthy passages from this book, but my favorite, and one that embodied the theme of the book, was this:

"Just because you can live without someone doesn't mean you want to."

  Overall rating for "After I Do": Five Stars

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you enjoyed this one! It is such a fantastic book and I took away so much from it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete