Thursday, January 22, 2015

Review: My Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Read Station Eleven

Title: Station Eleven
Author: Emily St Jon Mandel
333 pages, published September 2014
Genre: Science Fiction/Dystopian
Source: Library

From Good Reads:

An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.


Here are my top five reasons why you should read Station Eleven:

1. It is not your typical dystopian story. I read a lot of YA, and what's trending in YA right now is young female heroine must save the dystopian society she lives in, all while sorting through a love triangle. I did enjoy those books, but it's been done. Station Eleven was so refreshing!  Rather than being technologically advanced, this dystopian society is qute the opposite. The Georgia Flu wiped out the majority of Americans, taking modern technology such as air travel, cars, and communication with it.

2. The characters.  There are so many fun and interesting characters in this book, and how their lives cross paths throughout the book is so interesting! The book jumps between pre and post collapse from the Georgia Flu, and it's so interesting to see how each character's life is affected before and after.

3. The book is about a "Traveling Symphony" that performs music and Shakespeare plays. If you're into theatre and creative arts, you'll really enjoy this book! Each member is eccentric and has their own quirks and histories, and that's what makes them interesting!

4. It will make you think! I love a novel that I'm still thinking about days after finishing it. I had a "book hangover" on this one for quite a few days.  It makes you realize just how quickly life as we know it could be over--the idea of a flu epidemic such as the Georgia Flu in this novel really isn't too farfetched.

5.  The book surprises you. The novel isn't predictable like so many other dystopian novels.  It does have some great twists, turns, and things you didn't expect.  You know that the Traveling Symphony is journeying toward the airport, but what and who they see along the way and what they find when they get there unravels beautifully!

This book is DEFINTELY worth the hype you've heard about!

Overall rating for "Station Eleven": A

Happy Reading!


 

4 comments:

  1. I've struggled with adding this to my reading list because I just don't know if I'll enjoy it. It's way outside my normal read. But you have me thinking about trying it now! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I liked about it was how different it was! So creative and original! Try a few chapters and see what you think!

      Delete
  2. I didn't need more reasons to read, I've heard so many good things, but I couldn't resist seeing what you had to say! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does live up to the hype! Thanks for reading my review :)

      Delete