Friday, January 30, 2015

Review: Leaving Time

Leaving TimeTitle: Leaving Time
Author: Jodi Picoult
398 pages, published October 2014
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Source: Library

From Goodreads:

For over a decade, Jenna Metcalf obsesses on her vanished mom Alice. Jenna searches online, rereads journals of the scientist who studied grief among elephants. Two unlikely allies are Serenity Jones, psychic for missing people who doubts her gift, and Virgil Stanhope, jaded PI who originally investigated cases of Alice and her colleague. Hard questions and answers.

My Review:

I've always been a Picoult fan, and I was excited to read her newest release. I'd heard so many great things about this one. I'm happy to report they're all true! What  I loved most about the book was that it was clear Picoult did a ton of research to make this book a success. Granted, I don't know hardly anything about elephants or elephant grief,  but after doing a little research on Picoult's writing process with the book, I found this video on her website of an interview she did with National Geographic.  As she indicates in the video, the book isn't just about elephants, but she did do a lot of research and spent time at an elephant sanctuary to help make her book as accurate as possible. This really impressed me!

As with any Picoult book, it was beautifully written. I couldn't put it down. I was anxious to find out the mystery of what happened to Alice. I'd heard from other reviews there was a "big twist" at the end, and boy were they right!  The book was not only heartfelt and a beautiful story of love and loss, but also suspenseful and gripping.

If you haven't read Picoult, I highly suggest you read this one. And if you're already a Picoult fan, this is one not to miss!

Overall rating for "Leaving Time": A

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment