Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Review: House Broken

Title: House Broken
Author: Sonja Yoerg
336 pages, published January 2015
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Purchased for myself

From Good Reads:

For veterinarian Geneva Novak, animals can be easier to understand than people. They’re also easier to forgive. But when her mother, Helen, is injured in a vodka-fueled accident, it’s up to Geneva to give her the care she needs.

Since her teens, Geneva has kept her self-destructive mother at arm’s length. Now, with two slippery teenagers of her own at home, the last thing she wants is to add Helen to the mix. But Geneva’s husband convinces her that letting Helen live with them could be her golden chance to repair their relationship.

Geneva isn’t expecting her mother to change anytime soon, but she may finally get answers to the questions she’s been asking for so long. As the truth about her family unfolds, however, Geneva may find secrets too painful to bear and too terrible to forgive.


My Review:

First off, how adorable is this cover?! It's what drew me to the book in the first place, as I love anything and everything to do with animals.  I love how the author used the title and animal theme (since the main character is a veterinarian) to tie into the major themes of the book.

I loved the story, and I loved the author's writing style. Reading through it I at first assumed it would be predictable and easy to guess the ending, but there definitely were some surprises along the way. There was humor and fun in the story, but serious issues were addressed as well to give the story good substance.

Overall, this was fun, feel good read. It wasn't one of my favorites, but I definitely enjoyed it and felt it was worth reading. Perfect weekend read if you're looking for something light and fun, with some seriousness mixed in!

Overall rating for "House Broken": B+

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment