Monday, January 5, 2015

Review: Christmas at Tiffany's

Title: Christmas at Tiffany's
Author: Karen Swan
582 pages, published November 2011
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: bought for my Kindle

From GoodReads:


Cassie settled down too young, marrying her first serious boyfriend. Now, ten years later, she is betrayed and broken. With her marriage in tatters and no career or home of her own, she needs to work out where she belongs in the world and who she really is.

So begins a year-long trial as Cassie leaves her sheltered life in rural Scotland to stay with each of her best friends in the most glamorous cities in the world: New York, Paris and London. Exchanging grouse moor and mousy hair for low-carb diets and high-end highlights, Cassie tries on each city for size as she attempts to track down the life she was supposed to have been leading, and with it, the man who was supposed to love her all along.


My Review: 

I have mixed feelings about this book, but definitely more positive than negative. I loved the concept of the story, the three great cities as settings, and the theme of reinventing oneself. The story was charming, the characters likeable,and the book was entertaining. The main thing I didn't like about it was how long it was. I'll admit I almost stopped reading after the New York City section because I felt like it was dragging. However, all the great reviews of the book encouraged me to keep going, and I was super glad I did. Though predictable, I loved the ending. 

Despite the cover and title implying it was a holiday read, it can certainly be read at times of the year other than Christmas. It takes place over the course of a year through the different seasons. I was fun to read during my holiday break but I would've enjoyed it any time of the year.  

With the story spanning three cities, I could see this book working really well as a trilogy, which may have made the book not seem like it was dragging as much, but due to the genre,  it was readable in a reasonable amount of time.  Just be prepared to be reading it for awhile!

Overall rating for "Christmas at Tiffany's": B

Happy Reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment