Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain

Title: The Art of Racing in the Rain
Author: Garth Stein
321 pages, published May 2008
Genre: General Fiction
Source: purchased for myself

From GoodReads:

Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.

Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life...as only a dog could tell it.


My Review:
 
I've had this book on my to read shelf for a long while, but just hadn't gotten around to reading it until now.  I regret waiting so long to read it because I absolutely LOVED it. I loved it so much I read the whole thing in the span of 48 hours.  I laughed. I cried. I laughed some more.  This book was a delight, and Enzo antics and stories were so real and just how I picture a dog would think. His antics and stories cracked me up. But beyond all the funny stories and perspectives the book did have a much deeper meaning. It showcased the human/animal bond like no other book I've read, and explores what it means to be "human"--even if you're a "just" a dog believing you'll be a human in your next life.

As a new dog owner I really related to this book. I consider my dog a furry, four legged person so I really loved the perspective of this book! I also related to this book because I grew up watching car racing every weekend with my Dad. This book was like a big, warm hug for me. I highly recommend it if you are a dog lover or any animal lover! This book is now on my list of all time favorite books and it was a perfect first read of 2015!

Overall rating for "The Art of Racing in the Rain": A

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Both this book and this review made me happy :) I loved how unique this book was in the fact that Enzo was the main character. I fell in love with that dog and I can't wait to get one of my own!

    ReplyDelete