Thursday, January 15, 2015

Dual Mini Review: Hopeless and Losing Hope

Title: Hopeless
Author: Colleen Hoover
410 pages, published December 2012
Genre: New Adult Romance
Source: purchased for my Kindle

From Good Reads:

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.


My Review:

Every time I read another Colleen Hoover book, I declare it as my new favorite! She's that good.   This book was SO emotionally intense--not just in the love story but all the secrets Sky discovers along the way. The book is impossible to put down--the more you read, the more you want to know what happens next! And wow, does Colleen Hoover know how to create the most wonderful male leads--hot, romantic and sweet--Holder is no exception.  This book tackles so many issues beyond teen romance and by the end is almost an emotional overload--but it's so good you'll keep reading to the end.  If you love Hoover's books, this one is a must read!



Title: Losing Hope
Author: Colleen Hoover
352 pages, published July 2013
Genre: New Adult Romance
Source: Library

From Goodreads:

In Hopeless, Sky left no secret unearthed, no feeling unshared, and no memory forgotten, but Holder’s past remained a mystery.

Sometimes in life, if we wish to move forward, we must first dig deep into our past and make amends. In Losing Hope, bestselling author Colleen Hoover reveals what was going on inside Holder’s head during all those hopeless moments—and whether he can gain the peace he desperately needs.


My Review:

I'd heard a lot about this one, and was intrigued. I was interested about learning Holder's perspective but was worried about it being a repeat of Hopeless. If you're thinking about reading this book, you MUST read Hopeless first or it won't make much sense.  I must say I was impressed--it was not the repeat I expected it to be. It was a little of course, but there was so much additional information on Holder's life and experiences it kept it from being a boring repeat.   I really enjoyed Holder's letters to his sister in this book--it really helped the book be different than just a repeat of Hopeless. I also really liked the ending and thought it gave a lot of closure and information where Hopeless left off.

Both books in the Hopeless series are fantastic! I highly recommend both books!

Overall rating for "Hopeless" and "Losing Hope": A

Happy Reading!



6 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled you enjoyed both of these. I think I ended up loving Losing Hope more - but I didn't read them back-to-back, so I don't know if that would have been true if I had. Love CoHo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point. I may have felt differently if I hadn't read them back to back and the story wasn't still so fresh in my mind. Regardless--I too love CoHo!

      Delete
  2. I really need to read some Colleen books - I have heard so many amazing things!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hype really is true! She's amazing!

      Delete
  3. I am the exact same way about Colleen Hoover as you! Every book of hers I read and think, "Wow. Now THAT was her best book," and then I pick up another and am saying it all over again lol. I haven't read these two yet but am excited to get to them. Have you read Slammed? I can say that is probably my favorite right now of hers. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read Slammed but it is next on my list!! I have it from the library right now!

      Delete