Monday, December 22, 2014

Review: Me Before You

Title: Me Before You
Author: Jojo Moyes
369 pages, published December 2012
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Source: purchased for my Kindle

From GoodReads:

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick. What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.  What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.


My Review: 

I was excited to read this book because I'd heard so many good things about it! This was my first time reading one of Jojo Moyes' books, and it certainly won't be my last.  What I loved about this book was that it went so much deeper than I expected--the book deals with intense, emotional and deep feeling and situations, and the author writes it beautifully.  When others warn you you'll need tissues for this one, they aren't kidding. The story is beautifully heartbreaking, real, and happy all at the same time.

I loved both Lou and Will as characters.  Each were on their own journey throughout the book and became totally different people because of each other in a beautiful way. This book is more than just a love story--both character's journeys are life changing. 

If you haven't read this one yet, I definitely recommend it. Just don't expect a light and fluffy "chick lit" with this one--it's so much more.

Overall rating for "You Before Me": A -

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! It was the first Moyes I read too. I recently read her book The Ship of Brides. Liked it too! She's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to read more of her books!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with your review. I finished it on Boxing Day and couldn't put it down. I'm off to read more of her books!

    ReplyDelete