Monday, December 8, 2014

Review: The Look of Love

Title: The Look of Love
Author: Sarah Jio
320 pages, published November 2014
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Purchased for myself

From GoodReads:

Born during a Christmas blizzard, Jane Williams receives a rare gift: the ability to see true love. Jane has emerged from an ailing childhood a lonely, hopeless romantic when, on her twenty-ninth birthday, a mysterious greeting card arrives, specifying that Jane must identify the six types of love before the full moon following her thirtieth birthday, or face grave consequences. When Jane falls for a science writer who doesn’t believe in love, she fears that her fate is sealed. Inspired by the classic song, The Look of Love is utterly enchanting.

My Review:

I've read several of Jio's books this year, and she's become one of my favorite authors. I preordered this book and was excited to receive it in the mail the day it came out.  What I loved about this book was how creative the plot was. However farfetched the concept of your vision clouding when you see true love is, Jio made it work in a way that wasn't overly cheesy or weird. I love how Jio  entwined the concepts of science and love. I also enjoyed all the other characters besides Jane--newlyweds Katie and Josh, Elaine the baker, Mary the hairstylist, and her shop assistant Lo. All different love stories and all heartwarming.

I love Jio's writing style. It's quirky and fun, and a quick, relaxing read.  I read it over Thanksgiving weekend and it was perfect cozy holiday read.  If you're looking for a fun read and don't mind a little bit of cheesiness and predictably, you'll love this book. Jio is one of my must-read authors--if you haven't read one of her books you absolutely should!

Overall rating for "The Look of Love": A

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes cheesy and predictability is just the recipe I need in a book. She makes it work so well. I finished Blackberry Winter last week and loved it! She's definitely one of my favorite authors, now. Great review - I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete