Thursday, October 9, 2014

Review: What I Remember Most


Title: What I Remember Most
Author: Cathy Lamb
496 pages, published August 2014
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Purchased for myself

From GoodReads:
Grenadine Scotch Wild has only vague memories of the parents she last saw when she was six years old. But she's never forgotten their final, panicked words to her, urging Grenadine to run. The mystery of their disappearance is just one more frayed strand in a life that has lately begun to unravel completely. One year into her rocky marriage to Covey, a well known investor, he's arrested for fraud and embezzlement. And Grenadine, now a successful collage artist and painter, is facing jail time despite her innocence.
With Covey refusing to exonerate her unless she comes back to him, Grenadine once again takes the advice given to her so long ago: she runs. Hiding out in a mountain town in central Oregon until the trial, she finds work as a bartender and as assistant to a furniture-maker who is busy rebuilding his own life. But even far from everything she knew, Grenadine is granted a rare chance, as potentially liberating as it is terrifying--to face down her past, her fears, and live a life as beautiful and colorful as one of her paintings. . .


My Review:

If you've been reading my blog you know I LOVE Cathy Lamb's books! I was fortunate enough to meet Cathy back in September when she spoke at Powell's Books in Beaverton.  I absolutely loved this  book. I was worried it would drag on (it's almost 500 pages) but it didn't at all. The story flowed well, kept me interested, and I ended up reading the bulk of it in one weekend! It was THAT captivating!

When Cathy Lamb spoke in Beaverton (my observations of her visit here) she talked a bout the writing process and how she writes her books. She spoke about how the first thing she does is really get to know her main character.  I could easily see this in What I Remember Most. Grenady is a complex and deep character with true to life emotion. The strength of the main character is what made the book so good--because you knew her so well, you couldn't help but root for her throughout the book. I loved Grenday's quirks and mannerisms.  The book also had flashbacks to Grenady's childhood, in the form of reports and letters from Child Services that helped give clues to Grenady's horrible past and helped you to understand why  she behaved in certain ways.

What I Remember Most is definitely one of my favorite books by Cathy Lamb. I highly recommend this book--don't let the length intimidate you! It reads quickly because you get sucked into the story from the beginning.

Overall rating for "What I Remember Most": A

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had the best luck with Lamb's books in the past - but this one sounds really interesting. Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure about it at first but once I got into it I LOVED it! The main character was so interesting and multi dimensional!

      Delete