Friday, October 31, 2014

Review: Black Ice


Title: Black Ice
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
392 pages, published October 2014
Grenre: YA Mystery/Thriller
Source: Library

From GoodReads:

Britt Pfeiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn't prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants—but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage.

In exchange for her life, Britt agrees to guide the men off the mountain. As they set off, Britt knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. The task is made even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders that have taken place there... and in uncovering this, she may become the killer’s next target.

But nothing is as it seems in the mountains, and everyone is keeping secrets, including Mason, one of her kidnappers. His kindness is confusing Britt. Is he an enemy? Or an ally?

My Review:

This isn't normally a genre I read from, but it fulfilled a category in Bookish Bingo so I thought I'd give it a try! Thought the story was fast moving and read quickly, I felt the book was just average.  I spent the whole time being angry at the main characters, Britt and Korbie, for being so stupid in putting themselves in that position in the first place. Going backpacking in March in the Tetons and you think it won't be snowy and stormy? The plot wasn't too bad and did have an unexpected ending that came as a surprise.  The writing itself was actually pretty good.

One thing that really bothered me about the book was all the gun violence, but I am pretty sensitive to that compared to most people. However, the book was suspenseful and kept me turning the pages despite the things I didn't like, so that's what saved the three star goodreads rating (instead of giving it a two star rating).  If you're looking for a suspenseful read and don't mind violence, you'll probably be just fine with this book.

Overall rating for "Black Ice": C

Happy Reading, and Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen so many mixed reviews on this book that I don't think it'll be worth wasting my time.

    ReplyDelete