Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Bookish Q and A!

My friend Brandie over at Brandie is a Book Junkie posted this yesterday, and I couldn't resist :) Love these things! Here we go!
 
1. Favorite childhood book:
So many, but I'll say Matilda by Roald Dahl. I read it over and over!

2. What are you reading right now?
Just starting Little Mercies! Also working my way through This I Believe for a freshman experience class I'm teaching at work.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
Maybe, Someday by Colleen Hoover JUST came in for me yesterday! Picked it up but haven't started yet. I've also been on hold forever for Isla and the Happily Ever After!

4. Bad book habit: 
Getting way more books at the library than I have time to read...

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
See #3...Maybe Someday!
 
6. Do you have an e-reader?
Yes! Love my Kindle paperwhite!!

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
Usually I have a couple going at once, but one at a time is ideal.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Yes! I'm reading even more! Also I'm getting a lot more books added to my TBR list thanks to reading other blog reviews!

9. Least favorite book you read this year:
84 Ribbons by Paddy Eger

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year:
Too many to choose from! Here are a few of my faves:
Molokai by Alan Brennert
Landline by Rainbow Rowell
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Goodnight June by Sarah Jio
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
 
And of course...the Harry Potter series :)
 
11. How often do you read outside of your comfort zone?
Rarely. But when I do I usually love it! Like Wild, for instance. I rarely read memoirs and when I did it became one of my faves!

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
New adult fiction, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, YA fiction, and some romance
 
13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes

14. Favorite place to read:
In bed or on the couch (in reality). Ideally--with a view of the ocean :)

15. What is your policy on book lending?
 I rarely lend my books. There are a select few people (book loves like me) that I know will treat them well and give them back.

16. Do you dog-ear your books?
No

17. Do you write notes on the margins of your books?
No

18. Do you break/crack the spines?
Sometimes

19. What is your favorite language to read?
English, obviously
 
20. What makes you love a book?
beautiful writing paired with strong characters and a plot that keeps you interested!
 
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If I really love it, I'll recommend it!

22. Favorite genre:
Adult contemporary
 
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did):
Classics. I rarely can get into them.

24. Favorite biography:
Does a memoir count? If so, Wild by Cheryl Strayed

25. Have you read a self-help book (and was it helpful)? 
I'll agree with Brandie here-- The Five Love Languages has helpful suggestions.

26. Favorite cook book:
Ummm..Taste of Home? Because it's all relatively easy and practical.
 
27. The most inspirational book you’ve read this year:
Landline by Rainbow Rowell and  Wild by Cheryl Strayed

28. Favorite reading snack:
popcorn and a Pepsi!! Nothing better!!
 
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience:
Well, I knew the ending to Allegiant before I read the series, so that was kind of annoying.

30. How often do you agree with the critics about a book?
I usually only read Goodreads reviews, and I agree sometimes.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
 My reviews are 100% honest. If I don't like it, I'll say so. But I try to throw some positives in there as well.
 
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which would it be?
Francias!

33. Most intimidating book I’ve ever read:
Les Mis!
 
34. Most intimidating book I’m to nervous to begin:
Anna Karenina...it's ginormous.

35. Favorite Poet:
Don't have one

36. How many books do you generally have checked out of the library at a given time?
On average, 3

37. How often do you return books to the library unread?
More often than I'd like to admit!  I have a bad habit of checking out too many at a time.

38. Favorite fictional character:
So many...Hermione from Harry Potter is who I'll pick.
 
39. Favorite fictional villain:
Snape!!

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation:
My kindle, and beach reads! Elin Hilderbrand, Emily Giffin, etc.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading:
A few days. It kills me.
 
42. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Currently...my puppy!
 
43. Name a book you could not finish:
I'll probably get some hate mail for this but Pride and Prejudice. I was bored out of my mind. Sorry, Austen loving friends! To each their own, right? I was a Psych major. Lol.

44. Favorite film adaption of a novel:
Harry Potter #6 (Half Blood Prince)
 
45. The most disappointing film adaptation:
Hmm...Film adaptations generally are never as good as the book...I was disappointed with the last half of the movie Divergent compared to the book.

46. Most money I’ve ever spent in a bookstore at one time:
Probably around $50

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I don't

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through it?
If I can't get into it by the halfway point I usually stop. Life is too short to read books I'm not loving.
 
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
I do. My bookshelf currently needs some serious organizing!

50. Do you prefer to keep your books when done, or give them away?
Depends on the book. If I LOVE it I keep it but sometimes I will give ones away that I liked but didn't love.
 
51. Are there any books that you’ve been avoiding?
Not really. I avoided Harry Potter for YEARS and finally read it this summer! Everything I thought about it was WRONG. It was an amazing series!

52. Name a book that made you angry:
Hmmm...Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Uncomfortable more than angry though.

53. A book I didn’t expect to like but did:
 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I resisted for so long but loved it and the rest of the series!

54. A book I expected to like but didn’t:

55. Favorite guilt-free guilty-pleasure reading:
Nora Roberts! :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this!! I totally agree with you about Dark Places, in fact, all of her books made me irritated. Not my cup of tea. And same about Nora, too. :)

    I'm so glad you did this post! And I can't wait to see what you think of Maybe Someday.

    ReplyDelete