Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Review: Beautiful Day


Title: Beautiful Day
Author: Elin Hilderbrand
544 pages, published June 2013
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Purchased for myself

From GoodReads:

The Carmichaels and Grahams have gathered on Nantucket for a wedding. Plans are being made according to the wishes of the bride's late mother, who left behind The Notebook: specific instructions for every detail of her youngest daughter's future nuptials. Everything should be falling into place for the beautiful event--but in reality, things are far from perfect.

While the couple-to-be are quite happy, their loved ones find their own lives crumbling. In the days leading up to the wedding, love will be questioned, scandals will arise, and hearts will be broken and healed. Elin Hilderbrand takes readers on a touching journey in BEAUTIFUL DAY--into the heart of marriage, what it means to be faithful, and how we choose to honor our commitments.


My Review:

I generally love Hilderbrand's books, and saw the mixed reviews on this one, but was eager to read it anyway. A beach wedding chick lit is right up my alley, and I read the book during a weekend at the beach--can't get much better than that! However, I must admit this was not one of my favorites of Hiderbrand's. The characters were decent but I didn't really identify with any of them, which made things more challenging. At first I loved the idea of the Notebook--the late mother's wishes for a daugher's beautiful wedding. You're tearing up already, right? But rather than The Notebook being a beautiful thing, I was almost annoyed by it. In every entry, the mother had such specific requests and even requested that they do things a certain way, with no exceptions.  The way the daughters so blindly followed the requests for no other reason than it was in The Notebook bothered me. I completely understand wanting your mother's input, but to follow The Notebook so blindly made Jenna and Margot seem like weaker characters without opinions of their own.

I still gave it three stars because the wedding weekend plot and associating drama certainly kept me reading and intrigued. I awanted to know how it ended and how it happened.  It was still a good "beach read". However, if you've never read Hilderbrand before, I would recommend The Blue Bistro or The Castaways instead.  But don't worry--I'm not giving up on Hilderbrand just because I didn't like this one as much, and you shouldn't either!

Overall rating for "Beautiful Day": C+

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment