Monday, September 8, 2014

Nest

Jordan's Jewels
 
 
 

Title: Nest
Author: Esther Ehrlich
336 pages, publishing date September 9, 2014
Genre: Middle Grade

Source:  I received this ebook from NetGalley. This is my honest review.

From GoodReads:

For fans of Jennifer Holm (Penny from Heaven, Turtle in Paradise), a heartfelt and unforgettable middle-grade novel about an irresistible girl and her family, tragic change, and the healing power of love and friendship. In 1972 home is a cozy nest on Cape Cod for eleven-year-old Naomi “Chirp” Orenstein, her older sister, Rachel; her psychiatrist father; and her dancer mother. But then Chirp’s mom develops symptoms of a serious disease, and everything changes.
   Chirp finds comfort in watching her beloved wild birds. She also finds a true friend in Joey, the mysterious boy who lives across the street. Together they create their own private world and come up with the perfect plan: Escape. Adventure. Discovery.
   Nest is Esther Ehrlich’s stunning debut novel. Her lyrical writing is honest, humorous, and deeply affecting. Chirp and Joey will steal your heart. Long after you finish Nest, the spirit of Chirp and her loving family will stay with you.


To be flat out honest, the main reason I got this book was because I'm working on Bookish Bingo this summer, and decided to read a middle grade novel. I found this one on NetGalley, and I'm thrilled that I did. This story warmed my heart. I fell in love with Chirp and really related to her. I think I could relate so well because I've watched a parent suffer through a serious disease, and know the heartbreak, confusion, and frustration that goes along with it, even though I was an adult and Chirp is eleven.  I think it's an excellent book for young readers and adults alike to relate to if they've gone through a similar ordeal in their own lives, as the book has so many wonderful lessons throughout it. The writing is beautiful and poetic, and flowed easily.

If you're looking for a heartwarming middle grade read, I highly recommend this book. You'll fall in love with the characters and will have a hard time putting it down! This is the author's debut novel--and it's fantastic. I look forward to her future books!

Overall rating for "Nest": A

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment