Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Mrs. Hemingway


Title: Mrs. Hemingway
Author: Naomi Wood
322 pages, published May 2014
Genre: Historical Fiction
Source: Library

From GoodReads:

The Paris Wife was only the beginning of the story . . .Paula McLain’s New York Times–bestselling novel piqued readers’ interest about Ernest Hemingway’s romantic life. But Hadley was only one of four women married, in turn, to the legendary writer. Just as T.C. Boyle’s bestseller The Women completed the picture begun by Nancy Horan’s Loving Frank, Naomi Wood’s Mrs. Hemingway tells the story of how it was to love, and be loved by, the most famous and dashing writer of his generation. Hadley, Pauline, Martha and Mary: each Mrs. Hemingway thought their love would last forever; each one was wrong.

Told in four parts and based on real love letters and telegrams, Mrs. Hemingway reveals the explosive love triangles that wrecked each of Hemingway's marriages. Spanning 1920s bohemian Paris through 1960s Cold War America, populated with members of the fabled "Lost Generation," Mrs. Hemingway is a riveting tale of passion, love, and heartbreak.


My review:

I really enjoyed The Paris Wife and Hemingway's Girl, so this one clearly caught my attention. Though I'm not particularly a fan of Hemingway's writing, I find the recent historical fiction about his wives fascinating. What I liked most about this book was the style--the four different perspectives from each of the wives. I though that was significantly more creative than just a general historical account from Ernest's point of view. It was interesting (and sad) to see how he followed similar behavior patterns with each of the women.

The writing style and imagery in this book was also what caused me to give the book a four start rating. At times I felt the book dragged on a bit but the beautiful writing kept me interested and reading more. 

Overall, this wasn't my favorite book about the Hemingway women, but I am glad that I read it and definitely recommend it to those who love this type of historical fiction!

Overall rating for "Mrs. Hemingway": B

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment