Tuesday, September 2, 2014

I Want It That Way



20945757



Author: Ann Aguirre
352 pages, published August 26, 2014
Genre: Contemporary/Romance

Source:  I received this ebook from NetGalley. This is my honest review.

From GoodReads:

Nadia Conrad has big dreams, and she's determined to make them come true—for her parents' sake as well as her own. But between maintaining her college scholarship and working at the local day care to support herself, she barely has time to think, let alone date. Then she moves into a new apartment and meets the taciturn yet irresistible guy in 1B….

Daniel Tyler has grown up too fast. Becoming a single dad at twenty turned his life upside down—and brought him heartache he can't risk again. Now, as he raises his four-year-old son while balancing a full-time construction management job and night classes, a social life is out of the question. The last thing he wants is for four noisy students to move into the apartment upstairs. But one night, Nadia's and Ty's paths cross, and soon they can't stay away from each other.   The timing is all wrong—but love happens when it happens. And you can't know what you truly need until you stand to lose it.

This book is a  perfect vacation or weekend read--especially if you're looking for a steamy romance novel.   It's an easy, quick read, but entertaining and fun despite its predictable ending. I usually expect some level of predictability in my romance novels, so it didn't bother me this time around.

I really liked Nadia's character, and think the author did a great job of a realistic portrayal of a struggling college student and the challenges faced during that time.  The book combines the essence of young love, balancing work, school and life, and the challenges associated with both in a clear and relatable way.

What really drew me to the book was the title--all three books in this trilogy have Backstreet Boy songs as titles (the next two are As Long As You Love Me and The Shape of My Heart). I'll admit I was secretly hoping for some Backstreet Boys or boy band reference just for fun, but it wasn't there.  But I definitely love the author's creativity to use the song titles as titles for the series to tie them all together.  Though the book isn't one of my favorites, and isn't one of the best books I've read this year, it was still entertaining, still drew me in, and I still plan on reading the next two books! Definitely worth reading if you're looking for a light read or fun romance novel.

Overall grade for "I Want It That Way": B-

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this book enough to keep going with the series. Unfortunately, i tried it and couldn't get past the first few pages. It just wasn't working for me, but I may have to try it again sometime. I loved that the titles were BSB titles - how disappointing that they're never mentioned in the book! I thought that would be a given.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to at least give the second one a try. It wasn't as good as I expected but it wasn't terrible either. A good, light read.

      Delete