Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Author Meet and Greet: Cathy Lamb!

I am very fortunate to live in the state of Oregon and be just an hour away from the fantastic bookstore (book empire, really) Powell's Books. They have several locations throughout the Portland area. The largest store is Powell's City of Books in downtown Portland, that spans an entire city block. There's one in the Portland International Airport (Starbucks and a swing through this Powell's is a MUST for every time I travel out of PDX).  There are a couple other locations in Portland itself, but also one in Beaverton, OR.  I encourage those of you non Oregonians to check out their website--you can order books online :)


Cathy Lamb giving her talk and
reading from her new book
One of the great things about Powell's is all the author events. On my Bookish Bucket List, goals #2 and #13 were achieved last night--I went to an author event for Cathy Lamb, one of my favorite authors who happens to be from Oregon. Her new book, What I Remember Most, just came out (I'm reading it now, review to come) and she was there to promote her book and sign copies.

Mel from Double Stacked Bookshelves and fellow book lover Kristin came with me, and we had a fantastic time! I really enjoyed Cathy's talk--she's as funny in person as she is in her writing! I've always had a life goal of writing a book someday (#1 on my BBL) and she provided some insight and advice that was so encouraging! I've never started a book because I had no idea what the plot would be. She shared that she starts with a character--comes up with the character's name, career/job, who her family is, etc.  Really gets to know her main character. Then she develops the plot. She also uses an "inspiration journal" for each of her books where she cuts photos out of magazines, and writes words or phrases that inspire her (which may or may not end up in the book). She said she writes an initial rough draft, and then goes through8-9 edits herself before showing it to her publisher. Needless to say, her talk certainly gave me confidence that I could write a book someday. She then signed everyone's book, and it was fun to get to chat with her! She was so friendly, nice, and appreciative of those who came out to see her.
She signed my book and was SO nice!

Overall, it was a fantastic evening and totally worth getting home late and the extra coffee I will need today :) Friends, if you ever get the chance to meet an author (especially one you love) and hear them speak--do it. You won't regret it! More about her talk and reading will be in my review of her book :)


Have you gotten to meet an author you love? Tell me about your experience in the comments!

Happy Reading! :)





3 comments:

  1. This is so awesome. I'm glad you had fun!! What a great experience, and to hear how she writes. Very inspiring!

    I have only met Nicholas Sparks and he signed one of my books. That was before smart phones and now I wish I'd taken a camera and gotten a picture with him. I used to be obsessed with his book, not so much anymore.

    My dream author to meet is definitely Colleen Hoover. Hopefully someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome you met Nicholas Sparks! I was a fan back in the day too!

      Obviously, another author I'd love to meet is Rainbow Rowell. Or Stephanie Perkins!!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on a fun book event! I've read 2 books by Cathy Lamb and have her newest on my wishlist. Glad you had a good time and I'm envious of your location near Powells. Heard so much about it.

    ReplyDelete