Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Top Ten Books I'd Give To Readers Who've Never Read Historical Fiction

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is Top Ten Book I'd Give to Readers Who Have Never Read X. My Top Ten is for readers who have never read historical fiction. Historical fiction is a new genre for me, and I've really fallen in love with it! I hope that those of you who haven't read a lot of historical fiction give it a try--here are some great ones to start out with! I also included the time frame of each book.

1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (WW2)

2. Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (early 1900's Hawaii--and one of my favorite books of all time)

3. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grisson (late 1700s/early 1800's United States)

4. The Paris Wife by Paula McLain (1920's France, Europe)

5. The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan (late 1800's Paris)

6. The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani (early 1900's, New York City)

7. The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman (Post-WW1 Australia)

8. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (WW2)

9. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (WW2)

10. City of Thieves by David Benioff (WW2)

What historical fiction novels would you recommend to those who have never read this genre?

Happy Reading!

12 comments:

  1. Mmmmm love me some historical fiction. Excellent list, too, only two I haven't tackled yet, and one of which I own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I really liked this week's topic!

      Delete
  2. I will be honest and say this is not a genre I normally try to read or have enjoyed before. Although I've always wanted to try Moloka'i and I have my eye on The Bronze Horseman trilogy. Have you tried that one? I've heard it's fantastic. Some day I WILL try it. It's good to read outside the box once in awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read the Bronze Horseman trilogy but I'll have to check it out! You HAVE to read Molokai. It's absolutely fantastic!!!

      Delete
  3. I loved The Book Thief. It is such an awesome, powerful book. I think everyone should read it.

    My TTT Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love The Book Thief! Some great picks. I listed out classics this week: http://booksandwindowseats.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/top-ten-books-id-give-to-readers-who-have-never-read-classics/ I only just stumbled across your site, it's really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my blog! Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  5. I've heard some great things about Moloka'i - love that it touches on a time period we don't seem to get too often in historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molokai is seriously one of my favorite books EVER. Totally worth the read!

      Delete
  6. I love historical fiction, but I've only read #s 7-9 on your list. Will have to check out the others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the fun thing about this top ten Tuesday theme--it grows out TBR lists!

      Delete