Friday, August 8, 2014

The Bridge from Me to You


Title: The Bridge from Me to You
Author: Lisa Schroeder
336 pages, published July 2014
Genre: Young Adult
Source: NetGalley

Note: I received this ebook from NetGalley. This is my honest review.

From Good Reads:
Lauren has a secret. Colby has a problem. But when they find each other, everything falls into place.
Lauren is the new girl in town with a dark secret. Colby is the football hero with a dream of something more. In alternating chapters, they come together, fall apart, and build something stronger than either of them thought possible--something to truly believe in.


My Thoughts:

I absolutely loved this book. It warmed my heart and I related to it so well. The book is set in a small, fictional, Oregon town an hour or two away from Portland, during football season. I felt like this was going back in time for me, as I grew up in a small Oregon town a similar distance away from Portland, and vividly remember the experience of football season in a small town.

I loved the characters. They both had so much depth and were so real. In my full time job, I work with high school seniors during the application process for college, so I really related to Colby, as I see students like him frequently in my work. I loved how the chapters rotated from the two perspectives--this can be hit or miss for me but in this book's case, it worked perfectly. It worked so well because of the writing style-- you could tell which character was narrating just by the writing style of each chapter. Lauren's chapters were almost poetic and journal-like--which makes sense with what is going on in her life at the time. 

This book was an entertaining, charming, quick read. It embodies everything I love about the young adult genre.  I loved the overall themes and messages this book portrays--I feel not only would it be entertaining reading for young adults, but teach them some life lessons too.

I BELIEVE you'll love this book :)

Overall rating for "The Bridge from Me to You": A

Happy Reading!


2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good!! Thanks for your review - I'm going to head to Netgalley and see if it's still there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a sweet book, and though I've never been to Portland, I have that on my travel wishlist along with Seattle, and living in So Cal, it's closer now that it's ever been :)
    Good review and must be a satisfying job that you have helping kids prepare for college.

    ReplyDelete