Friday, July 25, 2014

Harry Potter Through the Eyes of a First Time Reader: Part 5

This is the fifth post in my "Harry Potter Through the Eyes of a First Time Reader" series! In each part of the series I will provide a review and commentary on each Harry Potter book. Don't worry--I know some of you haven't read it, so just like all my reviews, there will be no spoilers here!

Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Author: J.K. Rowling
870 pages, published June 2003
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Amazon Prime Kindle Borrowing Library


From GoodReads:
Harry Potter is due to start his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His best friends Ron and Hermione have been very secretive all summer and he is desperate to get back to school and find out what has been going on. However, what Harry discovers is far more devastating than he could ever have expected...

In my review of the fourth book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
, I asserted that each book gets better than the book before it. I don't think this was the case with the fifth book. Though I still enjoyed it and gave it a five star Goodreads rating, I don't believe it topped the fourth book, my favorite of the series so far.   All the action at the end of the fifth book was entertaining and the book overall was well written, but also a bit long winded.  I felt like it took awhile to get to the action in this one. 


As much as I love Harry, he irritated me a bit in this book. I can usually tolerate the teenage angst and attitude , but in this book it irritated me at times. However, considering what Harry has been through, I can understand him being whiny and irritating--he is 15 after all.  It's understandable being frustrated when you know you're telling the truth and no one believes you! Rowling did an excellent job of conveying  the fact that just because they're wizards doesn't mean they aren't human and go through tough stages of life, like being a misunderstood teenager.

Overall, this book wasn't my favorite of the series but I still really enjoyed it. I've heard Books 6 and 7 get even better, so I'm looking forward to those!

Overall rating for HP #5: A-

Happy Reading!



3 comments:

  1. This isn't my favorite book, but it does have one of my favorite moments, when the Weasleys are discussion that crazy muggle medical invention called "stitches."

    WHAT DO YOU MEAN, THAT'S THE GENERAL IDEA?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh* discussing, not discussion...

      Delete
    2. I laughed at that part when I was reading! So funny!

      Delete