Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Harry Potter Through the Eyes of a First Time Reader: Part 4

This is the fourth post in my "Harry Potter Through the Eyes of a First Time Reader" series! In each part of the series I will provide a review and commentary on each Harry Potter book. Don't worry--I know some of you haven't read it, so just like all my reviews, there will be no spoilers here!

Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Author: J.K. Rowling
734 pages, published September 2002
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Amazon Prime Kindle Borrowing Library

From GoodReads:
The summer holidays are dragging on and Harry Potter can't wait for the start of the school year. It is his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and there are spells to be learnt, potions to be brewed and Divination lessons (sigh) to be attended. Harry is expecting these: however, other quite unexpected events are already on the march ...

Each book in this series is better than the book before it! How many series can you say that about? I can't think of any.  I am absolutely loving this series, and this book is no exception.  What I love about this series, which stands out in Book 4, is how well everything ties together in the end, and yet still leaves you wanting more. At the end of Book 4, all your questions are answered--yet you know it's not over.

When I first started reading the series, Mel over at Double Stacked Bookshelves warned me that soon I would be staying up late to finish the books and reading for hours on end. She was right! I finished the second half of this book in less than 24 hours because it was so good. At first I felt the book was just too long--get to the tasks in the Triwizard Tournament already! But once they got to the first task, I couldn't stop reading!

The last quarter of the book is INTENSE. Clearly the books are no longer the children's books of books 1 and 2.  I love how the books are dealing with more complex themes, and are becoming more dark. Rowling's writing style is brilliant. This book is absolutely fantastic. 

Overall rating for HP #4: A


Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying your HP readathon. I know these books get longer and more 'adult' like as they go - I hope you continue loving them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... I remember staying up until 3 AM reading and being dead tired at school the next day because I just COULD NOT put it down. I always felt satisfied at the end of each book, but you're right it still leaves you thinking, 'Well, now what happens?' Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting to see if you'd see the change in intensity in book four! There is definitely a shift here to a more serious level. It caught me off guard when I read it because I hadn't had any hints or idea about it and I expected to just keep chugging along with the tone of books 1-3.

    ReplyDelete