Thursday, July 24, 2014

Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts: July 24


This is a weekly event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous.

1. I am now through five of the seven Harry Potter books! Started approximately six weeks ago, and I'm quite pleased with my progress! It's been the perfect summer reading project! My favorite so far is Book 4--Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I've also been watching the movies (after I finish each book). So that's been fun as well.

2. As I mentioned last week, last Saturday I saw The Book of Mormon in Portland! It was ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!!  I could not stop laughing, and at points I was laughing so hard I was crying! The dancing was FANTASTIC! Even a tap number!I highly recommend seeing it if you get the chance, especially if you are a South Park fan like me. If you are not a South Park fan, or think strong language and adult themes would bother you, you might want to sit this one out, as that sort of content is central in this musical! Anyone else seen it? What did you think?? I LOVE musicals, and this one is now up there with my all time favorite, which is Rent :)

3. Big news in the Palmer house this week: we are getting a PUPPY! One of our family friend's black lab had puppies, and we just couldn't resist. He will be approximately 8 weeks old when we pick him up this weekend. We are spending the week "puppy proofing" our house and puppy shopping! We have four cats, but a puppy is a new adventure for us (though we both grew up with dogs).  So excited for our fun adventures ahead! Still tossing around name ideas for our little guy, excited to get to know him better and see what fits his personality.  Here's a picture of him (look at that FACE!!!)



4. It's been a unusually hot summer in Oregon. So as a true Oregonian, I was thrilled yesterday when I woke up to rain! Free water for my plants!  It appears the sun will be back this weekend, so I'm enjoying the cooler weather and rain while it lasts!

5. I am so ready for football season!! Just last Sunday my husband and I were making lunch and discussing how the day would be MUCH better if there was a football game on TV to watch! Excited for another year of fantasy football too!

Tanks for reading, and hop you all have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. What do you think of the movies compared to the books? I've only seen the first movie, and it's always seemed that HP fans love the movies and say they are comparable to the books most of the time.

    The Book of Mormon sounds like something I'd love! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Aww - he's SO cute! Maybe you should name him Potter since you're getting him in the midst of your HP marathon. ;)

    I love when it rains and cools off. I'm not a fan of the heat - last night the temps dropped and I was thrilled that we got to open the windows again and turn off the AC. So far today it's only in the low 70's and I love it. Wish it were like this all summer in Ohio!

    AMEN - my hubby and I can not wait for football to come back on!! We so look forward to it every year. We watch baseball, but it's just not the same. Training camps are starting up next week so we're that much closer!! :)

    Love the new changes to the blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Harry Potter books are much better, though the movies are good and worth watching. They do leave out some things, and in pretty much all the movies there was at least one scene that I pictured totally different (expected more from the movie) but that's to be expected!

      We were throwing around a few literary names--but as football fans, and Denver Broncos fans...Peyton is the one that's sticking the most :)

      What part of Ohio are you from? I have a cousin in Toledo!

      Delete
    2. Aww, I like Peyton!

      I live in Northeast Ohio. Near the Akron/Canton area. I believe that's about 3 hours from Toledo.

      Delete
  2. Another post featured HP books today, too; and as I said on that blog, I have never read the books, but saw three of the movies. Sorry...not a fan, although I admire the author and her phenomenal accomplishments.

    Cute puppy!

    Over the years I have enjoyed traveling into and through parts of Oregon (and Washington). Love Portland, but also enjoyed a small town we visited called Hood River.

    I live in California...and I am TIRED of our heat! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understandable if HP wasn't for you! That's why I wanted to read them/watch the movies--so I could at least have an educated opinion on the subject!

      Oregon is a great state! I live south of Portland, in a small town outside of Salem!

      Delete
  3. What a darling puppy face. What are you going to name the puppy? If I were to do it again I would start training immediately! Here is a book that a breeder suggested I read: The Art of Raising a Puppy http://www.amazon.com/Art-Raising-Puppy-Revised/dp/0316083275

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation!! Right now we're thinking Peyton (after Peyton Manning) but we're not set on it yet!

      Delete
  4. It's been unusually hot here in the UK too - I don't like it. I'm used to gray. All of this yellow and blue business is freaking me out! :)

    ReplyDelete