Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Opposite of Maybe



Title: The Opposite of Maybe
Author: Maddie Dawson
400 pages, published April 2014
Genre: Women's Fiction

Note: I received this book for free from the publisher’s Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review. All opinions are my own.

Rosie and Jonathan have been together for 15 years when Jonathan decides he wants them to move across the country together. Things suddenly fall apart and Rosie moves in with her elderly  grandmother, Soapie, who helped raise her since she was a little girl. She also shares the house with Soapie's caregiver, Tony. Then Rosie, who is 44, realizes she's pregnant. In addition to feeling completely unprepared (as children were never in her and Jonathan's plans) she feels she may be falling in love with Tony, who has his own set of life complications. Through her pregnancy and caring for her ailing grandmother, Rosie learns that perhaps life's twists and turns happen exactly the way they are meant to be.

It took me a few chapters to get really invested in this book--I didn't like Jonathan's character at all, and I didn't like him and Rosie together because he clearly didn't really love her. But once she moved back to Soapie's I was hooked and could hardly put the book down.  Despite the fact that I'm younger and not pregnant, I still really related to Rosie.  I know the stress and emotions that come with caring for an ailing relative. I felt Rosie's character was really well developed, multi dimensional, and real.  I rooted for her throughout the book, and enjoyed her journey throughout her pregnancy. I felt Tony was a great character, and really helped Rosie on her journey of self discovery.  Near the end of the book, Tony says:

"I've been thinking about something. What if everything is unfolding exactly as it's supposed to?"

I feel this is the theme of a book in addition to something I believe is true in life, so I related to this part of the book well and found it believable. I loved the ending, and was very  pleased with how much I ended up liking the book at the end compared to my feelings at the beginning.

What drew me into this book initially was the cover--and I was a bit confused as I didn't feel the cover reflected the content of the book.  I still enjoyed the book regardless. Maddie Dawson's previous novel, The Stuff That Never Happened, has a similarly styled cover, so perhaps it was intentional.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. What are some books that started out slow for you but you ended up enjoying in the end?

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I have The Stuff That Never Happened on my Kindle for years and still haven't made time to read it. I should do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading this one I added The Stuff That Never Happened to my to read list :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this one yet, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thanks for reading!

      Delete