Monday, June 2, 2014

Summer Library Challenge: Library Survey



Welcome to June! June 1st was the first day of the Summer Library Challenge hosted by The Book Monsters! The topic this week is "Library Survey"--a chance for me to tell you a little bit about my local library!

Dallas Public Library near my home
1. What’s the name of your library and how close is it to where you live?

I live in a small town called Dallas (just like Texas, but in Oregon!). I visit the Dallas Public Library, which is about a half mile walk from my house! This is awesome in the summer--I love taking walks to the library! Since I work at a local university, I also frequent the university library.


Hamersly Library at WOU
 
2. How frequently do you go to the library?

I usually visit the public library once a week or so. I always say I'm going to go in for "just one book" but that NEVER happens. Books are like potato chips--can't have just one :)  I go to the university library usually a couple times a month, or whenever anyone else in the office happens to be going:)
 
3. What is the first section you normally go to when you get to the library?

At the public library, I usually browse the New Arrivals first, then on to General Fiction or Young Adult (depending on my mood!)  At the university there's a really great Recreational Reading section that has a lot of great fiction choices, even some great new arrivals!
 
4. Share a link to your library’s webpage. How often do you use it and what for?

Here's the link to the public library! The main thing I use the library page for is to search the catalog, place hold on books, and renew my current books.  They also have an iPhone/Android app, which is so handy!

This is the webpage for my university's library--also a great resource!
 
5. Does your library have a summer reading program for your age group? Do you participate and why or why not?
The library does have a well developed summer reading program for all ages, even for adults! To be honest, I've never participated as an adult, but as part of this challenge I plan to go to the library in the next couple weeks to learn more about the Summer program for adults!  The library also has a book discussion group but it meets while I'm at work!
 
6. What is one thing you can think of that would make your library better?
The only thing I can think of is being open later hours--there's only two days a week where it's open past 5:00pm. Since I work 8-5, I only have a couple days a week I can go after work. If I'm not busy, I can go on Saturdays too.
 
7. Does your library have a self checkout station and do you use it more than the circulation clerks?
I think it does have a self checkout area but I generally just go to the checkout desk. Perhaps I will learn how to use the self checkout area this summer.
 
8. What programs have you attended or thought of attending at your library?
I almost always make it to the Friends of the Library Book Sale--the Dallas library has one every summer, and other libraries in the network have various sales throughout the year. It's a fantastic way to support the library and add some great books to my collection!

One program I think is really great and I will attend once I have children is Read to the Dog. During this program, children practice reading aloud to trained therapy dogs. It's a great way for children to gain confidence in their reading skills and get some good practice in a comfortable environment--dogs don't judge!
 
9. Do you have family that utilizes the library with you? Who is your “library buddy”?
I usually go to the public library on my own--enjoy having my own time to browse :) When I go to the university library I usually go with my coworker, friend, and fellow book blogger Mel at Double Stacked Bookshelves. Always nice to take a walk across campus to the library on a nice day!
 
10. What is the best thing about your library?
This is an easy one! My public library is part of the Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS). There are 18 area libraries in this network! This makes accessing books even easier.  If my local library doesn't have the book I need, I can have it sent to my local library and placed on hold for me. I am so fortunate to have access to such a large library network!! The university has a similar network of libraries called Summit--as a university employee I have access to all network libraries as well.

What are some of the things you love about your local library? I encourage you to visit your library this summer and learn about some of the great programs they offer!

Happy Reading!




 

5 comments:

  1. I live in Oregon as well! :)
    "Books are like potato chips..." I have to agree with you there! It isn't a trip to the library if you don't get an entire haul of books ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Oregon!!

      "I'll just get one book..." said Lori...never. LOL :)

      Delete
  2. I definitely thought Texas when I saw Dallas, what a beautiful set of libraries you have! I hope you join your summer reading program! I cheat and sign up at another library we go to often. Last year I got the coolest reading mug just for completing a couple of books. I'll have to get some pictures of my library up on some of my other posts, I neglected to do so on this first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mugs! In addition to books and cats, mugs are another thing I LOVE because I am a coffee addict! I'm definitely planning on getting more info on the Adult Summer Reading Program!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My library keeps cutting hours so I have to plan carefully to be able to get there.

    ReplyDelete