Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My Library Story


Today's topic for the Library Books Read-A-Thon is "My Library Story." Such a fun topic, as I have loved libraries all my life! This event is hosted by  Rachael @ Rachael Turns Pages.

My love affair with books began as soon as I was old enough to look through them, according to my mom. When I would get books as gifts for Christmas or my birthday or whatnot, my mom said I would immediately stop and page through the books once I opened them. I wouldn't care if there were more gifts to open--I was all about the books. Still am, really :)

I don't vividly remember getting my first library card, but I know I was young! I remember Mom taking me to the library quite frequently. Also my mom read to me every night--I specifically remember reading all the Little House on the Prairie books together. I also remember the library at my elementary school. Wednesdays were Library Day, and they were my favorite day of the week!

My favorite thing about my elementary school library was a yearly activity called Battle of the Books.  The organization selects a number of appropriate books for your grade level (in my school at the time it was for grades 4-6, that was back when 6th grade was at the elementary schools). You read all the books, get into teams of four students, and "battle" in the form of trivia questions about the books.  In my school we did a tournament of all the teams, playoffs, and eventually, a team would be the top team in the school. Then you would "battle" against the top team in the other elementary schools in town.  20 years later, the Battle of the Books is still going on in my home school district!

Throughout middle school and high school, I was involved in journalism classes and still loved reading and writing.  In high school and college it became more difficult to read for fun due to school work and other activities but I had no problem diving back into reading after graduating college. Since then I probably go to the library once a week or at the very least every other week. Libraries instantly relax me.

What's your library story? Anyone else participate in Battle of the Books?

Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. The battle of books sounds awesome. I would have loved if my library did something like that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! And it's so cool that it's still going strong 20 years later!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't mind me! That is the other blog I post reviews on and I didn't realize I was signed into it. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree - Battle of the Books sounds like fun! I used to love library day at school. My fondest memories are the weekly trips to the local library in the summer with my mom. Always participating in the summer reading program. And then in school - Book It! I'm happy to know that Book It still exists too. :) I used to love getting those Scholastic flyers at school and would go nuts picking out new books to order. I'm so glad my mom instilled a love of books in me so that I could continue that love my whole life - and hopefully do the same for my daughter!

    GREAT post!! I love hearing where other friends first started their love of books and reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scholastic book flyers were my FAVORITE! Such good memories!!! Like you, I was fortunate to have a wonderful Mom who helped me become an avid reader (though she insists I was born with the love of books!)

      Delete