Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Harry Potter Through The Eyes of a First Time Reader: Part 2

Less than a week after finishing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, I finished the second book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets! This is the second post in my "Harry Potter Through the Eyes of a First Time Reader" series! In each part of the series I will provide a review and commentary on each Harry Potter book. Don't worry--I know some of you haven't read it, so just like all my reviews, there will be no spoilers here!

Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Author: J.K. Rowling
342 pages, published June 1999
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Amazon Prime Kindle Borrowing Library

In this second installment of the series, Harry is anxious for summer with the Dursley's to end so he can get back to Hogwarts. Before he leaves, he gets a warning from a strange creature named Dobby, who says disaster will strike if Harry returns to Hogwarts. And strike it does--something, or someone is turning students into stone. Everyone at Hogwarts suspects Harry, and he is determined to solve the mystery and find out just where--and what--the Chamber of Secrets is.

So here's the deal: when I finished the first book, I liked it, but didn't love it, as I said in my review. The second book was a completely different story. I loved it. I loved getting to know the characters more and seeing their confidence in their second year compared to their first year.  Hermione has officially become my favorite character.  This is why:

"Because that's what Hermione does," said Ron, shrugging. "When in doubt, go to the library."

I couldn't agree more, Hermione!

I was impressed with the element of suspense--the book kept me guessing right up until the end with plenty of twists and turns. The imagery created during the ending scenes was amazing! The only thing I could do without: the spiders.  Just reading that part made me convinced bugs were crawling on me! But I loved the rest!

I love Rowling's writing style. It flows well, it keeps you engaged, and these books are a perfect read for a relaxing summer afternoon. This one was hard to put down!  I am looking forward to more of this series, and I am almost certain that using this series for my summer project was an excellent decision! I'll end this post with another favorite quote from the book, said by Dumbledore, which I'm feeling summarizes the theme of the book, and perhaps the entire series:

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Overall rating for HP #2: A

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment