Thursday, June 12, 2014

Attachments


Title: Attachments
Author: Rainbow Rowell
336 pages, published April 2011
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Source: Borrowed from Library

As most of you know, I'm a huge Rainbow Rowell fan. I've read  and reviewed Eleanor and Park, and Fangirl, and couldn't wait to read her 2011 novel, Attachments!

Beth Freemont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder spend their downtime at work at the local newspaper emailing each other. They know their email is being monitored, but they still continue to send each other hilarious emails discussing every aspect of their lives. Lincoln O'Neill is the "internet security" officer whose job is to monitor (aka read) the emails. He comes across Beth and Jennifer's emails and is so intrigued he can't bring himself to turn them in. Soon enough, he realizes he's falling for Beth...and needs to figure out how to introduce himself in a way that doesn't make him appear like the creepy guy that reads her emails.

While Eleanor and Park and Fangirl are both YA reads, Attachments is a charming contemporary novel for the adult audience. The format alternates chapters--one chapter will be Beth and Jennifer's email exchanges, and the next chapter will be from Lincoln's point of view. The alternating perspectives kept thing fresh and fast moving--if the whole book was e-mail conversations it may have gotten it bit monotonous.  The email exchanges were hilarious and witty, and the writing was quirky and fun, like Rowell's other novels.

I related so well to this book. I didn't relate to one character specifically, but more to the book as a whole.  I worked on the school newspaper all throughout high school and part of college, so I totally related to that aspect of the book. I also loved the 90's references and remember the Y2K non-disaster. I may or may not send emails to my best friend in order to survive as slow workday.  I loved Lincoln's nerdy IT guy personality (perhaps because I'm married to a nerdy IT guy).

I loved the ending in this book. I loved the ending more in Attachments than either of her other books.  Rainbow Rowell's debut novel is fantastic.  I still feel that Eleanor and Park is my favorite, but Attachments is a close second!

Bottom line: You can't go wrong with a Rainbow Rowell novel!

Overall rating for "Attachments": A

Happy Reading!


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you loved this book, too! I just remember the overall happy feeling I had while reading it. It's so cute and I loved the way the chapters were written.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's impossible for me NOT to love a RR book!!

      Delete