Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Anna and the French Kiss


Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
372 pages, published December 2010
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Library

I've had my eye on this book for quite awhile. The cover drew me to the book initially--I love all things French! I also can't resist a great YA read. So when I read lots of great reviews of this one, I knew I had to read it!

Anna's parents decide to send her to boarding school in Paris for her senior year in high school. At first, Anna is disappointed to leave her friends and life behind in Atlanta. Then she meets Etienne St. Clair--a charming, smart, and gorgeous student with an English accent. Only downside: he has  girlfriend. As Anna adjusts to her new life in Paris, will romance blossom between her and St. Clair? Will she finally get that first "French Kiss"?

I absolutely adored this book. It made my heart happy.  I loved Anna's character. Young, na├»ve, innocent, and a typical over-analyzing teenager. Perkins wrote her character so well--it took me right back to my teenage years with those same kinds of feelings.  I loved Anna's character development--I enjoyed the journey with her as she explored a new place, learned a new language, met new friends,  discovered a first love, and became an independent young adult.

The story drew me in from the beginning. I took two years of French in high school and two in college, and was fortunate enough to travel to France in 1999.I was immediately drawn to the stories of Paris, Anna's adventures in learning French,  and her fears of saying the wrong thing in another language. One part in the novel I loved was when  St. Clair too Anna to the Notre Dame Cathedral.  In front of the cathedral is "point zero" in Paris. It's the center of Paris and the center for how all the districts (called arrondissements). It is customary to stand on this point and make a wish, which is exactly what St. Clair has Anna do. It made me remember doing the same thing back in 1999!

If you're looking for a charming and well crafted YA novel, I highly recommend this book.

In short: Lire ce livre!

Overall rating for "Anna and the French Kiss": A

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you loved this book! It's such a perfect, adorable YA book. Always tops my favorites in that genre. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it's right up there with E & P for me!! Warmed my heart!

      Delete