Friday, May 30, 2014

The One & Only



Title: The One & Only
Author: Emily Giffin
432 pages, published May 20, 2014
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Borrowed from Library

I have been impatiently waiting for this book to come out for weeks! Was thrilled to get my hands on it and start reading! I'm a big fan of all her books and was thrilled to discover that Giffin's latest novel revolved around one of my favorite things: football.

Shea Rigsby has lived in Walker, Texas her whole life--and shares the town's passion for college football. Her best friend Lucy is the daughter of legendary (and hunky) Walker Coach Clive Carr, Shea attended Walker University, and stayed at Walker in the sports information department after graduation. Then, Coach Carr's wife dies and Shea's comfortable world is shaken. She begins to question everything in her life and makes some big changes. Shea confronts her desires, her fears and her beliefs head on in this page turning novel.

This book got lots of mixed reviews--but I totally loved it.  I think the reason why I loved it was because I am as much of an obsessed football fan as Shea--and can related to working for multiple years after graduation at the same college you attended. I think those that aren't die hard football fans may have trouble relating to this book at the same level that I did.

 In addition, Giffin addresses some heavy topics such as abuse, rape, and unconventional relationships that may make some readers uncomfortable.  However, I think Giffin did an excellent job of addressing these, in particular the subject of unconventional relationships. It reminded me of Giffin's Something Borrowed in that sense--looking past outward judgments of the relationship and deeply understanding the characters and their feelings and unique perspectives. I won't go into more details here as I don't want to give too much away!

Giffin's characters are multi-dimensional, introspective, and interesting.  The plot is fast moving, keeps you guessing, and has far more depth than a traditional "chick lit" novel.  I had a hard time putting this book down! This novel is well written, and my favorite Emily Giffin novel thus far!

Overall rating for "The One & Only": A

Happy Reading!



2 comments:

  1. Favorite thus far - that is awesome! Wonderful review! I haven't had any time to read this week, but I'm looking forward to picking this one back up over the weekend. So glad to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it as much as I did!!!!

    ReplyDelete