Tuesday, May 27, 2014

More Than Just Words: Audiobook Review: The Perks of Being A Wallflower



Title: The Perks of Being A Wallflower
Author: Stephen Chbosky
213 pages, published February 1999
Audiobook version: 6 hours, 21 minutes. Narrated by: Noah Galvin
Genre: Young Adult

I received this audiobook for free from Audiobooks.com and World Book Night as a thank you for being a Book Giver for World Book Night 2014. I was so honored to be a Book Giver, and receiving these audiobooks was icing on the cake! I listened to this audiobook as part of the Bout of Books challenge. I am posting this review today because the topic for ArmchairBEA today is "More Than Just Words." I feel this book was fantastic to listen to as an audiobook.

The book is written in a series of letters from Charlie, in his freshman year of high school. The book spans the entire school year. Charlie is quiet, introspective, and extremely intelligent, even if he is socially awkward. Then seniors Patrick and his stepsister Sam take Charlie under their wing and help him navigate the social world called high school.

This book is a fantastic coming of age story. I absolutely loved Charlie and rooted for him throughout the book. He is so thoughtful, smart, and introspective, and I really enjoyed seeing his character develop.  I really liked the letter format instead of chapters--it helped me understand how far along in the school year it was by knowing the date.

I'm really glad I chose to "read" this book in audiobook format--the narrator, Noah Galvin, did  a fantastic job with this book. His style, tone, and inflection while reading the book made me feel like it really was the voice of Charlie reading the letters--he conveyed the angst and stress of being 15 and all the challenges that come with it. I feel like I felt for the character more because of hearing the voice.

This audiobook is a fantastic example of the power of books in alternate formats.  I feel the narrator's reading of the book only enhanced my experience with this book.

Overall Rating for "The Perks of Being a Wallflower": A

Happy Reading!



12 comments:

  1. I really wish I could concentrate on listening to a book. The narrator has to be so good. They have to keep my right brain on task and it is very recalcitrant. LOL Sounds like a lovely story, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is probably the best reading of an audiobook I have ever heard, though I don't listen to A LOT of audiobooks. This one really stuck out to me though!

      Delete
  2. This is one of those books I really need to re-read. I gulped it down years ago, and now I can't remember nearly as much as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a wonderful story! Definitely one that is re-readable, I think :)

      Delete
  3. This one has been on my TBR list for years now after a good friend told me it was one of her favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fantastic. Definitely worth bumping it up higher on your TBR pile!

      Delete
  4. Perks is one of my all time favorite books. It's my nostalgia read. Good to hear the audio version is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree that it's a great nostalgia read! It definitely made it to one of my all time favorites as well! It warmed my heart!

      Delete
  5. I've read a few others today saying that some books were just way better in audio. That's really interesting to me. Glad you enjoyed it!

    Holly @ Words Fueled by Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only listened to the audiobook of this one, not actually read it so I can't make a fair comparison, but I can say that it was EXCELLENT as an audiobook!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read The Perks of Being A Wallflower yet. I was very tempted to watch the movie but decided to wait until I could read the book. You've convinced to me to pick up the audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! It was fantastic. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete