Monday, May 19, 2014

Mini Review Monday: Sharp Objects and Gone Girl

I finished Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects last week for Bout of Books. It was the third of Flynn's novels I'd read--I read them in the reverse order they were written--Gone Girl, Dark Places, and Sharp Objects.  Since I've already reviewed Dark Places but haven't reviewed Gone Girl, I thought her remaining two books would make a perfect Mini Review Monday.

Flynn's books are like a train wreck or a car accident. As much as you don't want to look, you can't tear your eyes away from them. Flynn's novels suck you in--each in a different, twisted way.

Title: Sharp Objects
Author: Gillian Flynn
272 pages, published September 2006
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Source: Borrowed from Library

Sharp Objects is Flynn's debut novel and tells the story of Camille, a reporter who was recently release from a brief stay at a psychiatric hospital because of episodes of cutting herself--she has scars from words "written" al lover her body. Sent out by her paper for a big assignment, Camille is forced to return to the hometown that haunts her past in order to cover the murder of two preteen girls. This book is an amazing debut novel. The writing is addictive, the content is disturbing, and it keeps you guessing right up until the end. I thought I had the ending all figured out, and then everything changed. Completely worth the read!
Overall rating: A



Title: Gone Girl
Author: Gillian Flynn
422 pages, published January 2012
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Source: Borrowed from Library

Flynn's most recent novel begins on Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Amy suddenly disappears and Nick is a prime suspect.  The pressure from the police and Amy's overprotective parents cause Nick to be evasive and make bad decisions, but is he her killer? The first part of this book is Amy's diary--and later in the book you get a completely different perspective. Which perspective is the truth? This book is equally addicting as Sharp Objects, full of mind games, and has a crazy, messed up ending.  I had absolutely nothing figured out in this book because it was so  expertly written by Flynn. Another book not to miss!
Overall rating: A


General Thoughts:

Both these books are fantastic. I definitely preferred these two to her second book, Dark Places. But as I said in my review, the brutal violence in Dark Places just didn't work for me.  The psychological thrillers are more up my alley (maybe it's the Psychology major in me?).

It's a toss up for me which I liked better--Gone Girl or Sharp Objects. I liked Sharp Objects because of the clearly resolved ending, but I liked Gone Girl because the crazy, messed up ending went with the style of the rest of the book's mind games and deceit.  Bottom line: Flynn is a gifted writer, and her books are well worth your time to read!

Have you read all of Flynn's novels? What did you think?

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on Dark Places. It was my least favorite of her books. I think Gone Girl has to be my favorite, although they are all pretty disturbing. She has a very twisted mind, for sure! I'm glad you enjoyed these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see how the movies turn out!

      Delete