Saturday, May 24, 2014

Fangirl



Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
445 pages, published 2013
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Borrowed from Library

After reading Eleanor and Park, I knew I had to read the rest of Rainbow Rowell's books as soon as possible.  The next book I got my hands on was Fangirl!

Cath is a big fan of the fictional character Simon Snow--so much so that she obsessively writes fan fiction revolving around Simon and the other characters in the widely popular series.  The novel beings as Cath and her twin sister Wren are beginning college, and Cath is completely out of her comfort zone. Wren doesn't want to live with her (so they can meet new people) and Cath has to get used to life with a new roommate, a new school,  and a new schedule, all while trying to continue writing her fan fiction.  Can Cath make it through freshmen year without having Wren to lean on? Is she ready to start living her own life and writing her own stories that aren't fan fiction?

This book was another excellent YA novel from Rainbow Rowell. I completely related to Cath.  I remember being a terrified freshmen when I first started college.  Rowell perfectly captured the emotional roller coaster that is your first year at college, and the characters in the book a realistic and interesting.  I also liked how the book was divided into two parts--Fall Semester and Spring Semester--it highlighted Cath's character development, as the winter break was a bit of a turning point for her character.

The book revolves around Cath's love for fan fiction, and he book includes portions of both Cath's fan fiction and excerpts from the (fictional) book her fan fiction is based off of. I'll admit these portions distracted me a bit from the rest of the story, but not enough to make me not like the book.

Overall, I enjoyed the truthfulness and raw emotion in this book.   I think you'll easily relate to one or more of the characters in this book, and fall in love with them just like I did!

Overall rating for "Fangirl": A-

Happy Reading!


4 comments:

  1. Lovely review. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book. I wasn't so sure about Cath at first but she quickly won me over and I was sucked into the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't love it as much as Eleanor and Park but it was close :) Excited to read Attachments, as well as Landline, when it comes out :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, my first year was a lot like Cath's... only she was actually more outgoing than I was, if you can believe that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I related to her so much as well. I've been an introvert my whole life!

      Delete