Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Bout of Books 10: Goals

Bout of Books


I'm participating in this year's Bout of Books for the first time, and I am super excited! Love to have another excuse to spend extra time reading :) This year is Bout of Books 10, and it begins next Monday, May 12! Consider signing up if you'd like to join me!

Time Devoted to Reading

I work full time and read on nearly every lunch break (my favorite time of day!). For this readathon I intend to read not only at lunch but for a few hours each evening (my evenings are wide open next week!). Currently I will end up spending some time reading in the evenings at some point during the week but for the readathon I intend to make a conscious effort to read each night of the challenge. On Saturday the 17th I have some obligations to my full time job but will be reading every chance I get otherwise!

My Goals

1. Read every day of the readathon
2. Finish 2-3 books
3. Write reviews of all books I finish
4. Listen to one audiobook
5. Track number of pages I've read.

(Since I haven't done Bout of Books before, or tracked my number of pages read in a week, I have literally no idea how many pages to set for a goal. So, I'm going to track it this year, and then use that for a baseline toward future goals.)

Books to Read

These two for sure:

1. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (about halfway through at the beginning of the readathon)
2. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
3. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky  (audiobook selection)

Any recommendations for other books to read during the readathon?? :)

Happy Reading!

9 comments:

  1. I've always heard people say read shorter books too and it will feel like you've accomplished a lot. However, if you are counting pages read, the length of any particular book won't matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if you are counting pages, coming to the end of a book / story does give a sense of accomplishment that can be very encouraging so I can see the point of reading shorter books.

      Delete
  2. The shorter book idea definitely makes sense. It was a recommendation for Dewey's 24 hour readathon too. Since this is my first Bout of Books, I'm just doing my best and seeing what happens, then using that as baseline for future readathon goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! See what works for you.

      Delete
  3. Yay for your first Bout of Books! This will be my fourth, and they're always such a great time. Also, I highly recommend a Twitter chat if any of them fit into your schedule. They're crazy, but fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked at the twitter chat schedule and I can definitely fit at least one in my schedule! Sounds fun!! And the challenges look fun too. What a fun week this will be!!

      Delete
  4. Eleanor & Park has been getting so many raving reviews, I hope you enjoy it too :D Good luck with all your goals!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started it this morning (Monday) and I'm enjoying it so far! Thank you and happy reading!! :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a lot of fun. If I had discovered your blog or this event before it started, I probably would have joined in but I will be looking on with a great deal of interest and I am looking forward to participating next time.

    The Thirteenth Tale is a fabulous book, one of my all time favorites. You may also want to check out The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. They don't have much in common except for they are both great storyteller's books for people who love reading and books,

    ReplyDelete